MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Tech
Experience:  26 YEARS of real world experience .
10834442

2001 CR-V: drivers door..unlock..actuator..the interior door panel

My driver's door will not unlock from inside or outside. It is a 2001 CR-V with remote entry. I can't check the actuator because I can't get the interior door panel off with the door closed.
Category: Honda
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 3 years ago.

master tech :

Hello welcome to just answer I am master tech and will be able to assist you today.

master tech :

you have to remove the door panel this is a common problem on the door latches

Customer:

I understand this. My problem is that I don't know how to remove the door panel if I can't open the door.

master tech :

yes this is the hard part the front seat will need to be removed and the door panel will then have to come out.

master tech :

this is how we do it at the dealer

master tech :

so first step unbolt the front seat and remove it. then remove the door panel.

master tech :

On this model their should be a small tab that can be pushed down on the latch that will open the door.

master tech :

let me get a picture.

master tech :

please CLICK HERE for door latch info. you will need a small mirror to see this pin and a 90 deg pick tool or something to push down on the rod as marked.

master tech :

then once the door opens remove the latch and replace the latch assembly .

Customer:

So it's the latch and not the actuator?

master tech :

yes

master tech :

if you cant open this from the inside or outside then 100% a latch issue

master tech :

the new door latch comes with a new actuator

Customer:

What's the best way to remove the door panel--from the bottom, the top, what? It's hard to access any edges with the door closed.

Customer:

Oh--they come together. OK.

Customer:

Do I have to go to a deal for this part or is it available after market?

master tech :

yes from the bottom to the top. just make sure you DON'T forget any of the screws

Customer:

How many are there?

master tech :

this is the hard part.

Customer:

I guess I"ll break a couple of the clips, eh? I'll need to replace them as well.

master tech :

these were not made to be removed while the door is shut. so use caution

Customer:

Yeah...

master tech :

yes a few clips will get damaged. but if your careful you wont break the door panel

master tech :

we charge about 3 hours at the dealer for this job

Customer:

OK. I'll be careful and let it take as long as it takes! I"m sure it will take me longer than three hours... I'll check on all the clips and buy the parts before I start taking anything apart.

Customer:

So I should remove every screw and bolt I can find and them keep looking for more as I go along?

master tech :

the latch I would buy from Honda

Customer:

OK. Thanks a lot! Over and out.

MASTER TECH, Tech
Experience: 26 YEARS of real world experience .