Marty
Marty, Bosch Master Tech
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician
13230946

1998 Honda Civic: s SRS warning light came..200 miles..miles later

Customer Question

My 1998 Honda Civic's SRS warning light came on yesterday. I could not detect a problem.
But -- 200 miles later, my battery started smoking.
I removed the battery from the car.

Questions
1. If I replace the battery, should that fix the SRS warning?
2. What type of battery should I buy?
3. When I replace the 2 wires on the battery, does it matter which of the two wires I attach first?
4. One of the two wires to the batteries has a red cap. Does that attach to the positive or negative pole?

thank you!
Category: Honda
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.

hondatec :

Hi, if your battery has failed I would have to think that the SRS light came on due to a low voltage signal to the SRS control unit. Tha new battery should take care of the SRS fault but you may need to have the SRS light reset with a scan tool if it remains on after the battery replacement. As far as what type of battery to purchase you can use pretty much any brand as long as the battery is specified for your car in the catalog. You need a Group 51R battery. You always want to attach the positive cable first and the negative cable last. The red cover goes over the positive cable.

hondatec :

Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer:

Thanks,

Customer:

Thank you;. I think this is a simple replacement job that I can do. I'm not very skilled mechanically, but it looks pretty straightforward.

Customer:

thank you. Looks like a simple replacement job. No need for a mechanic to replace the battery. Do you agree?

hondatec :

Yes

hondatec :

You should be able to replace this yourself.

hondatec :

I would suggest however that you have the charging system tested after you install the battery to be sure that the alternator is not overcharging. Usually the parts store that you purchase the battery from will test the charging system for you free of charge.