Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2000 Honda Accord: cylinder..P1457 code according to AutoZone

2000 Honda Accord 6 cylinder. P1457 code according to AutoZone. Engine light on. Emission control system leak detected. best course of action?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks.

This code is common caused by the evap vent valve. Locate the Canister Vent Shut (CVS) valve on the side of the charcoal canister, and the bypass solenoid under the cover next to the canister. Both solenoids have a Black/Yellow (BLK/YEL) wire that supplies voltage to the them. Check to verify that there is voltage to the solenoids, key on. If there is voltage to both solenoids, the second wire is the wire the Engine Control Module (ECM) will ground to control the solenoid. On the CVS valve, backprobe the Green/White (GRN/WHT) wire, ground it and verify that the valve will close and hold vacuum. Also verify that it will open when the ground is taken away. Test the Bypass Solenoid (BS), ground the Blue (BLU) wire and verify that the BS solenoid will click and operate. If either solenoid fails, replace the solenoid and see if the code resets. If the solenoids pass and operate correctly, an Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) simulation test will need to be performed. To perform an EVAP simulation test, ground the CVS valve and the BS solenoid at the same time. Put a voltmeter on the Fuel Tank Pressure (FTP) sensor Green (GRN) wire and then start the vehicle and tap ground on the purge solenoid and draw a vacuum on the system. Wait until the pressure sensor reads 1 to 1.5 volts and stop. If the voltage does not go up, there are no leaks. If the voltage increases, look for a leak in the system. When performing this test, clamp the hose from the 2-way valve to the fuel tank. Normal FTP sensor voltage is 2.5 volts, no vacuum or pressure in the system.

P1457 EVAP System Leak Detected (Canister Area)

Possible CausesSetting Conditions
  • EVAP canister is leaking, damaged or full of water
  • EVAP canister purge line is loose, damaged or blocked
  • EVAP two-way valve or ORVR vent shut valve is damaged
  • EVAP fuel tank vapor control valve has failed
  • PCM has failed
Engine started (cold); IAT sensor from 32-86ºF at startup, vehicle speed more than 5 mph for over 2 minutes, ECT signal more than 154ºF during testing, EVAP Control and Vent solenoids both enabled, and the PCM detected the fuel tank pressure was incorrect due to a leak in the canister area.

This code sets in 2 Trip(s).
This code will turn on the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp)

Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database