Honda man
Honda man, Honda Service Technician
Experience:  Gold level Honda training
11197966

Solenoid..the clutch circuit to remain engaged..electrical system

MG clutch circuit 7.5 A fuse seems to be draining my battery completely overnight. I can hear a solenoid click when this fuse is inserted and the car is on a battery charger. What causes the clutch circuit to remain engaged when the rest of the electrical system is switched off, and what is the best way to fix this?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda man replied 3 years ago.

Honda man :

Hello, I would love to help you with any Honda or automotive questions. The AC cluch relay is stuck on. Just to varify but your hand on the AC cluch and install the fuse and you can feel it click and slightly move. These AC relays have been going bad like mad, I have replaced 2 of them a week for the last month.

Honda man :

The relay up need is in the under hood fuse box indicated by a snow flake on the fuse box cover lid

Honda man :

just to varify you replace the correct relay when you pull it out and install the bad one it will do the same click

Honda man :

any questions?

Customer:

Where exactly is the AC clutch? I hear the click, but cannot easily tell where it comes from. Will replacement of the relay solve this problem?

Honda man :

ac cluch is on the ac compressor.....very bottom of the passanger side under the hood...

Honda man :

let me try to find you a photo

Customer:

I think that I may have verified the problem. When I removed the relay, the clicking from the right side of the engine compartment no longer happened when I reconnected the battery ground. But...when I replaced the relay, there was also no more clicking when I reconnected the battery. Could this be a problem of intermittent sticking of the relay?

Honda man :

No sometimes removing and reinstalling it might make it work for a shory bit

Honda man :

they do not cost to much at the dealer but I would replace it ASAP, like I stated up above they have been going bad like mad

Customer:

That makes sense to me, since I did have to wiggle the relay to remove it. Until I can locate a replacement relay, would there be a problem with simply removing it until I can get it replaced? I suppose that AC would not work, and maybe I should also rem another fuse to prevent the AC from trying to run. Would this be safe? Would a shop like Pep Boys be likely to carry a replacement relay, or is this a dealer item only?

Honda man :

keeping the relay out will keep the AC from working but I wound get a relay from the dealer as soon as you can. I would not trust a pep boys relay and tyhe new Honda ones are improved design

Honda man :

Any thing else I can do for you today

Customer:

Can I safely drive the Odyssey with the relay removed until I get replace the relay?

Honda man :

yes but it drains the battery in less tyhan 12 hours...I would remove the relay for the night

Honda man :

you can even ride with it in if you need ac

Honda man :

then remove it when you stop\

Customer:

Thanks very much! This is a big help.

Honda man, Honda Service Technician
Experience: Gold level Honda training