Honda man
Honda man, Honda Service Technician
Experience:  Gold level Honda training
11197966

AT delayed shift from 1st to 2nd gear

<p>just replaced automatic tiptronic transmission in 97 prelude. everything works great except there is a soft 3 second delay to shift from 1st to 2nd gear. Also, my D4 starts flashing, plus check engine light. I have right amount of fluid in it. Please help! I hear these transmissions are 'junk' but i have a hard time believing that. let me know what all i should check and if i should bring it to honda dealer for checks. And let me know if this is a serious problem or not to worry so much :(     (i did put genuine honda ATF in it too)</p>
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda man replied 3 years ago.

Honda man :

Hello, I would love to help you with any Honda or automotive questions.

Customer:

ok

Honda man :

did the new trans come with new pressure switches?

Customer:

no

Customer:

the pressure swithes are the green one

Customer:

and a brown and black near radiator

Customer:

they are all used

Honda man :

by your description solution #1 the transmission pressure switch is bad or not pluged in

Customer:

can you describe where its at?

Honda man :

Did you have the computer scanned for the transmission code?

Customer:

there it one that is not plugged because the fitting fell off wire

Customer:

only one though and its very hidden

Honda man :

yes thats it it is on the trans under the thermistat housing and very hard to get to

Customer:

absolutely

Customer:

i dont have the plug, just bare wire

Customer:

could i solder it?

Customer:

its the only one not connected

Honda man :

ouch that is the problem with your shift and D4 for sure. do you have the old trans to get the plug back and splice the wire back ojn

Customer:

its a single blue wire

Honda man :

yes

Customer:

ok

Customer:

no, the one was crushed on the new one and my harness was missing plug

Customer:

the harness side plug is missing

Honda man :

not 100% blue on your year but blue or green, I can check but I think we are talking about the same pressure switch

Customer:

it is face opposite and is green plastic

Customer:

facing

Customer:

very hard to get to

Customer:

of all plugs

Customer:

its clutch pressure right?

Customer:

i just didnt think it was too important or causing so much problem

Honda man :

I think your only solution is to hit a junk yard for a piece of the wire harness. Yes clutch pressure switch . 2ed gear

Customer:

ok, as 3rd and 4th shift perfect

Honda man :

that pressure switch is for 2ed gear only

Customer:

i should be able to find one

Honda man :

the 3ed gear switch is the same connector so if you find a junkyard prelude or even an accord of that year it is the same connector

Customer:

so my trans is ok, as far as you can tell?

Honda man :

if your only problem is a slow 1-2 shift and the D4 light flashes that is your only problem

Honda man :

is with that switch hook up

Customer:

awesome! so what year of accord can i use as preludes are rare in junkyard

Customer:

same year only

Customer:

?

Honda man :

can you give me a min I need to look at Honda onfo,,,,,is the connector on that plug square or round

Customer:

round

Customer:

green

Honda man :

give me 1 min to go on the Honda net to look

Customer:

ok, thanks

Honda man :

97-01 prelude, 98-01 Accords or 98-01 Odyssey all have the same pressure switch

Customer:

great! So i just need to grab that part of harness and splice....thanks for all your help.

Honda man :

just cut that 1 wire off the harness and repair

Customer:

splice

Honda man :

anything else I can help you with tonight?

Customer:

1 quick one

Customer:

i used the solenoid from front of tranny for the firewall one...black plug thing, is this ok?

Customer:

as one got damaged

Customer:

are these interchangeable?

Customer:

they ar held on by one 10mm bolt

Honda man :

the shift solenoid?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

there are 2

Customer:

near pass tire

Customer:

front and back

Honda man :

yes if it was the same bolt pattern it will work fine

Customer:

ok, yes, so same thing just plug is facing different

Customer:

cool

Customer:

thats it, i appreciate your help

Customer:

have good night

Honda man :

you to please accept and leave feedback when you get time thx

Customer:

i will for sure

Honda man, Honda Service Technician
Experience: Gold level Honda training