Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Expert Witness
7183013

2001 honda civic: passenger side when idling..car began..70 mph

Customer Question

2001 honda civic accord. Had a slight vibration on passenger side when idling. Then the car began to vibrate when I hit 65-70 mph. Not horrible but noticible. Now it vibrates on both sides when I idle or drive around 65 mph. The car isn't making any unusal noises and none of the service lights have come on. I'm taking the car in today and would like to have a couple of ideas about what it could be before I get raked over the coals. The other issue is the lights to the steering colum go out when I turn on my head lights. This happened today, and I noticed the vibration was a little more stronger. Thanks for any ideas and advise you can give me.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Ted G. replied 5 years ago.
On a car that age I would suspect a bad engine mount (s). This will allow the engine to settle on the frame and cause a vibration. The vibration would get worse when the lights are on because the alternator is drawing power from the engine, which makes the engine idle slightly rougher. I'm not sure what you mean buy steering column lights though.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I mean dashboard lights go off when I turn on headlights but stay on when the headlights are off.
Expert:  Ted G. replied 5 years ago.
Oh, try and turn the dashboard dimmer switch up, it may have been turned down by mistake.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No thats not it, it went half dead saturday. Then I left my lights on today and had to jump it. It could be a fuse or something. Not a big deal. I only added that bit of information just incase it was relavent. My main concern was the vibration, I had heard engine mount problem from a friend. Thanks for the advise.

Expert:  Ted G. replied 5 years ago.
If you need help with the lights after let me know and we can work on it.