George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

honda Accord EX why do my brake lights stay on. I have a

Customer Question

why do my brake lights stay on. I have a 92 honda accord ex
Category: Honda
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

There is a plastic plug that the plunger of the brake switch rests on when the pedal is all the way up. Make sure this plug is in place, they get brittle and break. Autoparts stores have a package of trim retainers in the HELP section that you can use to replace the plug if it is missing.

If the plug is in place unplug the switch (located on the shaft of the brake pedal) and see if the lights go off. The switch may be mis adjusted, plug the switch in and press the plunger all the way in to see if the lights go out. If they do not the switch has failed internally and will need to be replaced.

These are the common reasons for the lights to stay on, try this and let me know if it does not work for you. Please let me know what further questions you have about this

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is it possible this would happen if I had a master cylinder problem?
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

Is it the brake light on the dash board that stays on?

Not the brake lights of the vehicle?

If it is check the level of the brake fluid inn the reservoir, if it is low the brake light on the dash will come on and you may have worn brake pads/ shoes or am leak in the system that caused the level to drop.

This would be the same light that comes on when you set your parking brake.

Let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have both problems. the dash light and the brake lights. the level does go down after I pour in fluid. right after I fill it the dash light is still on and the brake lights are on. then after it runs down a little the ABS light comes on. The brakes seem to be working pretty good. not perfect.
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

Is it the red brake light or the amber brake light that comes on? Or both?

Are the rear brake lights of the vehicle staying on at all times?

Are the lights going out when you turn the key off?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
red brake light on dash stays on, amber ABS brake light on dash comes and goes depending on fluid level. I have to pull the battery cable to shut off the exterior brake lights.
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

OK you have many things going on here. The rear brake light should be first as I described above then if the fluid level drops in the reservoir you have a leak in the system that needs to be found.

Fix the rear lights so you don't have to pull the battery cable, find the leak and that should take care of two of your problems. The amber ABS light may not be able to be repaired without replacing the ABS unit but once the other two are repaired that will be much easier to diagnose.

Let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I think the leak is in the reservior its self. do you know if I can purchase just that?
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

YOu may have to replace the master cylinder to replace the reservoir as there are many master cylinders available without the reservoir and you change yours over to the new one but there are no reservoirs alone.

A master with the reservoir attached is about 30 - 35 so it is not expensive, bleeding the system is a little tough so I would have a shop install it.

Let me know how I can help you

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
where would I find it for that price. Im seeing 70 +
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

See the link below

Click here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks I will look into these tomorrow and if I can get my rear brake lights out I will pay.
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

OK let me know how I can help you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
will do. thanks George
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.
I need to post ot your question to move it out of my question list.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can i ask a question about another item on the same honda?
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

Sure if it is not too far afield let me know and I will do my best to answer for you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my cruise control does not work. there is a button on the dash left of the sterring wheel to turn the system on and it lights up when I push it. But I cannot set the cruise at all.
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

YOur brake lights have to work properly for the cruise to work. Repair the brake lights and then troubleshoot the ANS light and then the cruise

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ahhhhhh of course. I fixed the brake light. It was that switch. there was a piece of plastic missing. I actually used a bigger zip tie and positioned the nob to meet the switch. just in case it comes off some time I threw a couple extra in the glove box. Good call. so the master cylinder looks pretty easy to replace. am I wromg and how hard is the bleeding proceedure?
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

The ABS system can make it tough to bleed, the best advice I have is bench bleed the master first and have it ready to install then break the line nuts loose with a line wrench so you don't round off the nuts and remove the mounting bolts then the lines so you can swap the master fast and not allow any fluid to drip out of the lines. If you let the master drip a little as you install the lines you should not have to bleed the system at all.

If you do have to bleed it allow the cylinders to gravity bleed and just pump the pedal once or twice with your hand as your partner opens and closes the bleeder so air is not sucked into the cylinders. Don't push the pedal to the floor, just halfway down and hold it with your hand, don't use your foot to bleed it.

Let me know what I can do to help

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
good advice. I wont be doing this until next tues. will I be able to ask a couple questions then without paying extra? Also I was going to buy one of the A/C conversion kits at the autoparts store. Is this simple enough to do and do those work. that will be all for this evening and I will pay after you respond. Thanks for all your help.
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

The AC conversion requires professional equipment to do successfully. I would not waste my money on a DIY kit.

Let me know how I can help you

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
will I be able to ask more questions about my mastercylinder next week?
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

If you need help let me know, your question never closes. You can always respond to an email link for these posts or login to the site and choose it from the My Questions list at the top of the page

This is regardless if you have accepted my answer or not.

let me know what I can do to help you

Thanks

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech 15+ years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hey George. I believe I did what you said about the bench bleed of the master cylinder. I installed it and both my abs and my brake light have gone out now. thats great. the problem is the pedal goes all the way to the floor. Im assuming I need to bleed the system now? How?
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

You will need a pressure bleeder to get the air out of the ABS system and a tech with a electronic tool to activate the ABS unit to get all the air out. I was afraid that you would have air in the ABS system.

I would suggest a mobile tech to help bleed it in the driveway and maybe he can get enough air out to produce a serviceable pedal.

The procedure is below

Click here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hey George got the brakes going. Had the local tire shop do a system flush for me and had a coupon for 35$. couldnt beat it. Thanks for all the help. i never resolved the cruise control issue though. once the brakes are working and the lights are off the cruise still doesnt work. Any Idea? remember the light on the button comes on. then when I hit it to set the light on the dash comes on. But the speed does not set.
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

So the light does come on when you turn it on?

Do you have an airbag in the steering wheel?

The brake lights work normally now and you don't have any lights on the dash?

The speedometer works normally?

I know it is a lot of questions but they are all important, we are starting on a new problem so I need to get an idea of what is happening.

Glad you got brakes, at least you can stop when you need to.

Let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
there is a button on the lower dash left of the steering wheel. when I hit it the light on it comes on. then when I attempt to set the cruise by hitting the button on the steering wheel the light on the dash in with the spedo and tach comes on but the speed is never set. my speedo seems to be working fine.
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

No warning lights on the dash?

The brake lights on the back are working normally now?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes an air bag. yes the brake lights are working normally. No warning lights
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

Ok then you will need to check the vacuum to the cruise unit under the hood and see if there is vacuum to the actuator. This system may be beyond normal troubleshooting unless you have a vacuum gauge and a voltmeter. After 20 years the vacuum diaphragms tend to get brittle and rupture.

Let me know what you have to test

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can barrow a vacuum pump from te auto parts store. I was assuming I had a vacuum leak since the car is running a little rough. I can borough a voltmeter to. I know how to use it mine just broke.
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

OK check for vacuum at the cruise unit and see if you have supply to there if you do you can block the vent and see if the diaphragm will pull in from the vacuum you supply. If it does we will move on to the electrical. This may take a lot if it moves to electrical as you have to manually check all the inputs to the cruise module and then test the output from the module.

Let me know when you have vacuum

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok. Hey could a vacuum problem be causing slow shifting in the tranny?
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

You have an automatic trans?

Not directly from vacuum like a modulator but if the engine vacuum is low the MAP sensor may not know what load the engine is under and the shifting would be off. These were sophisticated computers so it could be the input from the sensors throwing off the shift pattern or it may be mechanical in the trans.

Let me know what further questions you have

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
alright well it will be this weekend before I can do any thing. thanks. Im going to start researching /looking for vacuum problems. ur the man George
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

OK I will be here so let me know what you find

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I guess I didnt really understand about testing that specific vacumm ,ine for the cruise. Where would that be located? I tested the one to the egr and it was fine. I changed out the TPS and that seemed to help it run a little beteer but still have a mis and the cruise dont work.