MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Tech
Experience:  26 YEARS of real world experience .
10834442

2002 honda accord: the check engine light..traction control light

I ahve a 2002 honda accord v6 model, the check engine light is flashing, and traction control light is on, scan the code and it came up 1099 undocumented code. any ideas?
Category: Honda
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 3 years ago.

master tech :

Hello welcome to just answer I am master tech and will be able to assist you today.

master tech :

can you please recheck this code as this is not a valid dtc honda uses.

master tech :

we use P codes for the engine and drive train

master tech :

what is the car doing ?

Customer:

the engine sounds like it is chugging, also came up with some misfires on a few cylinders

master tech :

ok when at idle this is missing ?

Customer:

yes i believe so, and when driveing you feel the car chug along. Also smells like its running pretty rich

master tech :

running very rough

master tech :

ok we need to isolate the cylinder thats causing this.

Customer:

i believe that it is cylinder 5, that came up the most

master tech :

the way i do it is pull the 1 olug wire at a time up just until the engine starts to run poor and then push the wire back down and repeat this

master tech :

# XXXXX in the middle front correct

Customer:

that im not too sure

master tech :

ok lets do this unplug 1 coil at a time and see which one does not affect the idel

master tech :

you had me a little confused here

master tech :

I was thinking this had plug wires but this is a later year

master tech :

so each cylinder has a coil

Customer:

ya sorry they have ignition coils

master tech :

you will not get shocked when doing this so start in the front and work your way back, the ones we see fail are the front ones

master tech :

you have a bad coil but we need to see which one

Customer:

so start the car and unplug the wires from the ignition coils?

master tech :

you will tell right away which one cause as you unplug it the engine will still be running the same and the good ones will make the engine run even worse

master tech :

yes the connectors

Customer:

ok i will try that

master tech :

just unplug is and see if the idle changes or not

master tech :

ok

master tech :

the one that does not change is the bad one.

master tech :

to confirm this swap that coil into another cylinder and do the same check and see if the misfire moves to the new cylinder that you just put the bad coil into.

Customer:

the front one on the left as u look at the enginge from the front of that car, did not affect the idle, i move it one over and did not affect the idle again, i checked all but the back left one as i could not get my fat fingers in to get it off

master tech :

ok this is # XXXXX

master tech :

ok thats fine you have found the bad coil

master tech :

replace it and then clear the check engine light and you should be just fine

Customer:

is it safe to drive this way

Customer:

replaced the bad ignition coil, engine sounds better, no more chugging, but still sounds like it has a bog when pressing on the gas up to about 2500 rpms and the it sounds normal

master tech : Ok clear the codes and then retest. No more misfires
master tech : The site is having some techincal issues so I'm not getting e mail that you replied I will check back in about 20 mins
Customer:

do i need a scanner to reset the codes?

master tech : Yes or disconnect the battery. But you will need your radio code
Customer:

any idea y it sounds different under 2500 rpms?

master tech :

not sure since im unable to drive and hear this .

master tech :

if understand you the trans is slipping correct

master tech :

between shift >

Customer:

ok thanks for ur help

MASTER TECH, Tech
Experience: 26 YEARS of real world experience .