Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Honda Civic 1999 Honda Civic how do I change the front wheel

1999 Honda Civic
how do I change the front wheel bearings ?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

the hub and bearings have to be pressed out and new ones pressed in, and you might as well replace both hub and bearing to do it right. You can rent a portable press and the cups for pressing them out from most equipment rental stores, or remove the spindles and take to NAPA or a shop and pay to have them pressed out and the new ones pressed in. Do not attempt to hammer out or chisel out and hammer in the new ones. You will only end up having to buy new spindles due to damage. I have seen this happen too many times to count by DIYers, and their car come in on a wrecker.

Once the hub has been removed, the wheel bearings must be replaced. A hydraulic press and bearing drivers must be used to remove and install the bearing.

1. Pry the spindle nut stake away from the spindle and loosen the nut. Do not tighten or loosen a spindle nut unless the vehicle is sitting on all four wheels. The torque required is high enough to cause the vehicle to fall off the stands even when properly supported.
  2. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  3. Remove the wheel and the spindle nut.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Hub and steering knuckle components-Prelude and Accord

1. Remove the caliper mounting bolts and the caliper. Support the caliper out of the way with a length of wire. Do not let the caliper hang from the brake hose.
  2. Remove the 6mm brake disc retaining screws. Screw two 8x1.25mm bolts into the disc to push it away from the hub.

Turn each bolt two turns at a time to prevent cocking the brake disc.

1. Remove the cotter pin from the tie rod castle nut, then remove the nut. Separate the tie rod ball joint using a ball joint remover, then lift the tie rod out of the knuckle.
  2. Remove the cotter pin and loosen the lower arm ball joint nut half the length of the joint threads. The nut will retain the arm when the joint comes loose.
  3. Separate the ball joint and lower arm using a puller with the pawls applied to the lower arm. Avoid damaging the ball joint boot. If necessary, apply penetrating lubricant to loosen the ball joint.
  4. Remove the upper ball joint shield, if equipped.
  5. Pry off the cotter pin and remove the upper ball joint nut.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Press the hub out of the knuckle

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Press the bearing out of the knuckle

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Use a press to remove the inner bearing race from the hub

1. Separate the upper ball joint and knuckle.
  2. Remove the knuckle and hub by sliding them off the halfshaft.
  3. Remove the splash guard screws from the knuckle.
  4. Position the knuckle/hub assembly in a hydraulic press. Press the hub from the knuckle using a driver of the proper diameter while supporting the knuckle. The inner bearing race may stay on the hub.
  5. Remove the splash guard and snapring from the knuckle.
  6. Press the hub/wheel bearing out of the knuckle while supporting the knuckle.
  7. If necessary, remove the outboard bearing inner race from the hub using a bearing puller.

To install:

1. Clean the knuckle and hub thoroughly.
  2. Press a new wheel bearing into the knuckle. Be sure the press tool contacts only the outer bearing race and properly support the knuckle so it is stable.
  3. Install the snapring.
  4. Install the splash shield. Don't overtighten the screws.
  5. Place the hub on the press table and press the knuckle onto the hub. Be sure the press tool contacts only the inner bearing race.
  6. Install the front knuckle ring on the knuckle.
  7. Install the knuckle/hub assembly on the vehicle. Tighten the upper ball joint nut and tie rod end nut to 32 ft. lbs. (44 Nm). Install new cotter pins. Tighten the lower ball joint nut to 40 ft. lbs. (55 Nm) and install a new cotter pin.
  8. Install the brake disc and caliper. Tighten the caliper bracket bolts to 80 ft. lbs. (108 Nm).
  9. Install the front wheels and lower the vehicle.
  10. Tighten the spindle nut to 181 ft. lbs. (245 Nm). Tighten the wheel nuts to 80 ft. lbs. (108 Nm).
  11. Check and adjust the vehicle's front wheel alignment.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If I replace the hub is that a complete unit hub and bearing ?
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks