Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

Have 92 honda civic 1.5L have to change waterpump any tips

have 92 honda civic 1.5L have to change waterpump any tips
Category: Honda
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.

hi

sense it turns with the timing belt..it would be a good idea to replace it also while you are there..

this should help you some

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Honda Civic/CRX/del Sol 1984-1995 Water Pump

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1 and 2

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Place a suitable drain pan under the vehicle and drain the cooling system. Properly dispose of the used coolant.
  3. Remove the accessory drive belts.
  4. Refer to the timing belt removal procedure in this section and remove the timing belt cover and the timing belt.
  5. Remove the water pump mounting bolts and the water pump.

FIG : Fig. 1: Exploded view of common water pump and peripheral accessories-1988-91 vehicle shown image

FIG : Fig. 2: Water pump mounting-1984-87 engines image

To install:

1. Use a new O-ring seal and install the water pump on the block. Tighten the water pump mounting bolts to 9 ft. lbs. (12 Nm).
  2. Install the timing belt and the timing belt cover. Install the accessory drive belts.
  3. Connect the negative battery cable. Fill and bleed the cooling system, then tighten the bleed bolt to 7 ft. lbs. (9 Nm).

Honda Civic/CRX/del Sol 1984-1995 Timing Belt and Tensioner

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

1984-87 Engines

See Figures 1, 2 and 3

1. Turn the crankshaft pulley until it is at Top Dead Center.
  2. Remove the pulley belt, water pump pulley, crankshaft pulley, and timing gear cover. Mark the direction of timing belt rotation.
  3. Loosen, but do not remove, the tensioner adjusting bolt and pivot bolt.
  4. Slide the timing belt off of the camshaft timing gear and the crankshaft pulley gear and remove it from the engine.
  5. To remove the camshaft timing gear pulley, first remove the center bolt and then remove the pulley with a pulley remover or a brass hammer. This can be accomplished by simply removing the timing belt upper cover, loosening the tensioner bolts, and sliding the timing belt off of the gear to expose the gear for removal.

If you remove the timing gear with the timing belt cover in place, be sure not to let the woodruff key fall inside the timing cover when removing the gear from the camshaft. Inspect the timing belt. Replace if over 90,000 miles old, if oil soaked (find source of oil leak also), or if worn on leading edges of belt teeth.

FIG : Fig. 1: Timing belt and front cover assembly-1984-87 engines

image

: Fig. 2: Positioning the crankshaft and camshaft pulleys before installing the timing belt-1984-87 engines image

FIG : Fig. 3: Timing belt tension adjustment-1984-87 engines

image

To install:

1. Be sure to install the crankshaft pulley and the camshaft timing gear pulley in the top dead center position. Align the marks on the camshaft timing gear so they are parallel with the top of the cylinder head and the woodruff key is facing up.

When installing the timing belt, do not allow oil to come in contact with the belt. Oil will cause the rubber to swell. Be careful not to twist the belt unnecessarily or bend in a 90° angle, since it is made with fiberglass; nor should you use tools having sharp edges when installing or removing the belt. Be sure to install the belt with the arrow facing in the same direction it was facing during removal.

1. After installing the belt, adjust the belt tension by first rotating the crankshaft counterclockwise 1/4 turn. Then, re-tighten the adjusting bolt and finally the tensioner pivot bolt.
  2. Replace the other components removed for belt access.
  3. Start the car, check timing and adjust if necessary

WARNING Do not remove the adjusting or pivot bolts, only loosen them. When adjusting, do not use any force other than the adjuster spring. If the belt is too tight, it will result in a shortened belt life.
1988-91 Engines

See Figures 4, 5 and 6

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Slightly raise and support the driver's side of the vehicle, remove the driver's side wheel. Remove the driver's side wheel well splash shield.
  2. Remove the air conditioning compressor adjust pulley with bracket and the belt (if equipped with air conditioning).
  3. Remove the side engine mount bracket. Loosen the alternator adjusting bolt and through-bolt, then remove the belt.
  4. Remove the engine support bolts and nuts, then remove the side mount rubber.
  5. Unfasten the crankshaft pulley bolt and remove the crankshaft pulley.
  6. Remove the timing belt upper cover and lower cover.
  7. Mark the rotation of the timing belt (for easy installation). Loosen the tensioner adjusting bolt, then remove the timing belt.

FIG : Fig. 4: Timing belt and front cover assembly-1988-91 engines image

FIG : Fig. 5: Positioning the crankshaft and camshaft pulleys before installing the timing belt-1988-91 engines image

FIG : Fig. 6: Timing belt tension adjustment-1988-91 engines

image

To install:

Inspect the timing belt. Replace it if it has been in service longer than 90,000 miles, if it is oil soaked (find and correct the source of the oil leak), or if it is worn on the leading edges of the belt teeth.

1. Before installing the belt, double check the position of the engine. The timing pointer must be aligned with the mark on the flywheel; the cam pulley must be set so the small dot or the word UP is vertical and the marks on the edges of the pulley are aligned with the surface of the cylinder head.
  2. Installation is the reverse order of the removal procedure. Be sure to adjust the timing belt as follows:

The tensioner is spring-loaded to apply proper tension to the timing belt automatically after making the following adjustment. Be sure to always adjust the timing belt tension with the engine cold.

1. After installing the timing belt, adjust the belt tension by first rotating the crankshaft counterclockwise 1/4 turn or three teeth on the camshaft pulley (this will put tension on the timing belt). Then, retighten the adjusting bolt and finally the tensioner pivot bolt. If the crankshaft pulley bolt broke loose while turning the crank, be sure to re-tighten it to specifications.

Do not remove the adjusting or pivot bolts, only loosen them. When adjusting, do not use any force other than the adjuster spring. If the belt is too tight, it will result in a shortened belt life.

1. Replace the other components removed for belt access.
  2. Start the car and check for smooth operation.

1992-95 Engines

See Figures 7 and 8

3. Remove the side engine mount bracket. Loosen the alternator adjust bolt and through-bolt then remove the belt.
  7. Mark the rotation of the timing belt (for easy installation). Loosen the adjusting bolt, then remove the timing belt.

FIG : Fig. 7: Exploded view of timing belt assembly including pulleys, sprockets and their mounting-1992-95 D15B7 and D15B8 engines image

FIG : Fig. 8: Turn belt as shown in the direction of the arrow. Be sure to check the belt's teeth for wear image

To install:

1. Double check the position of the engine. The timing pointer must be aligned with the mark on the flywheel; the cam pulley must be set so the small dot or the word UP is vertical and the marks on the edges of the pulley are aligned with the surface of the head.
  2. Install the belt on the pulleys.
  3. Be sure to adjust the timing belt as follows:

1. After installing the timing belt, adjust the belt tension by first rotating the crankshaft counterclockwise 1/4 turn or three teeth on the camshaft pulley (this will put tension on the timing belt). Then, re-tighten the adjusting bolt and finally the tensioner pivot bolt. After adjustments are complete, be sure to re-tighten the crankshaft pulley bolt to specifications.

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.