Steve
Steve, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  13+ years with Honda,ase certified over 25 years
13523613

Honda: cr..I want to disable it..factory alarm

Honda 2005 CRV - Alarm is annoying. I want to disable it. Am told I have a factory alarm and a secondary alarm installed. My in-laws gave us the car because it is so annoying (who does that?) I unload groceries and it goes off, waking my kids in the back seat. I had the sensor "fixed", and it didn't change. Do I remove a fuse? (How? Which one?) Do I put it in Valet mode? (How?) Mechanics tell me it will disable the car if I disable the alarm and I'm at the point of finding a "chop shop" to help. Ideas welcome and VERY appreciated.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

Steve :

Which alarm is giving you the problem? Is it the one where the horn honks or one where a siren goes off?

Customer:

I think it is the siren going off. When we exit the car without locking it, and then open another door or leave a door open after about 30 seconds. So, unloading groceries, etc...

Steve :

That would be the secondary alarm then. Most always there will be a black box help up under the dash with plastic cables that does not look like the factory installed it. Near this box may be some fuses that you could pull out to disable it. Other times just unplugging the connectors from the box will disable it and still allow the rest of the car to function. Different manufactures of these alarms have different ways to put them in valet mode, some have a switch under the dash that you would push after turning the key on and others like the one I have has a button on the antennae that is attached to the windshield. I would look for the box and just unplug it.

Customer:

I found a fuse box and the fuses are label, none with alarm, but no black box. I didn't unlock and remove the panel under the dash. Not sure if that's what my next step is? Will try to do that.

Steve :

yes you will need to remove that panel and look farther to find it.

Customer:

Our mechanic did this - something in the dash that said honda security - and it seems to have worked. Thanks for your help!

Steve :

Glad he got it fixed for you.