Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

My clutch pedal is sticking to the floor..first gear..wont return

My clutch pedal is sticking to the floor when in first gear. Pedal won't return and can't get out of first gear.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.

ok

when did this problem first start?

is it full of fluid?

if you pull the pedal back up with your hand and then press it again..will it start working[repeat this a few times]

tell me all you can

thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just had the clutch replaced and little -by-little it had to be depressed further in order to shift gear. It is topped off and, yes, I can pull the pedal back with my hand but only for it to get stuck again when pressing it with my foot for gear change.

ok

did you replace the slave cylinder when you done the clutch?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no, did I have to?

well no..but,we do ..

ok sense you aren't getting fluid to the slave when you press the pedal and the reservoir is full..i would think your problem is the clutch master cylinder,it would seem it has a bad seal in it letting the fluid bypass...

thanks

Honda - Accord Prelude 1996 2000

Master Cylinder

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

FIG : Disconnect and plug the fluid line(s) from the master cylinder-Prelude shown, Accord similar image

FIG : Pry the cotter pin (or lock pin) out, then pull the pedal pin from the yoke. Unfasten the retaining nuts securing the master cylinder . . . image

FIG : . . . then, from under the hood, remove the master cylinderimage

WARNING Do not spill brake fluid on any of the vehicles painted surfaces. It will damage the paint!

1. Use a suitable siphon or a clean turkey baster to remove the old fluid, or remove the clutch master cylinder reservoir bracket mounting bolts and pour the old fluid into a suitable container.
  2. Clean the reservoir thoroughly using a clean shop cloth or paper towel.
  3. Disconnect the clutch pipe from the master cylinder.
  4. Remove the reservoir hose from the master cylinder reservoir.
  5. If additional room is needed, remove the driver's side lower dash panel and the following items from under the dash:
    1. Remove the cotter pin on the clutch pedal rod.
    2. Remove the clutch pedal pin out of the yoke.
    3. Remove the master cylinder retaining nuts.

6. Remove the clutch master cylinder from under the hood.

WARNING Do not spill brake fluid on the clutch master cylinder damper.

1. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Use only fresh DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid from a sealed container to refill the clutch hydraulic system.

1. Fill and bleed the clutch system, using a suitable DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid

HYDRAULIC SYSTEM BLEEDING

Use only DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid from a clean, sealed container, for the clutch master reservoir. As brake fluid will damage the vehicle's paint, clean up any spills immediately.

1. Use a suitable siphon or a clean turkey baster to remove the old brake fluid, or remove the clutch master cylinder reservoir bracket mounting bolts and pour the old fluid into a suitable container.
  2. If removed, install the clutch master cylinder fluid reservoir and fill it the MAX line with suitable DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid from a fresh, sealed container.
  3. Clean the reservoir thoroughly using a clean shop cloth or paper towel.
  4. Fit a flare or box end wrench onto the slave cylinder bleeder screw.
  5. Attach a (clear if available) rubber tube to the slave cylinder bleed screw and suspend it into a suitable clear drain container partially filled with brake fluid.
  6. Make sure the clutch master cylinder is filled with brake fluid.
  7. Open the bleeder screw and have an assistant press the clutch pedal to the floor.
  8. While holding the clutch pedal to the floor, close the bleed screw.
  9. Slowly release the clutch pedal to its fullest extension and recheck the reservoir fluid level. Top off as necessary.
  10. Repeat the above steps until the fluid exiting the bleed screw is clean and free of all air bubbles.
  11. Top off the clutch master cylinder reservoir as necessary.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
would I have to look for leaks

no

i don't think it is leaking..if it were,,it would be low on fluid...............you say it isn't..so,i think the master is leaking on the inside,not making pressure.....

thanks

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.