Vinnie Boyett
Vinnie Boyett, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 yrs exp.Honda factory trained technician
27713285

Honda civic what does oil life means..

Customer Question

what does oil life means..?
Category: Honda
Expert:  ........... replied 3 years ago.

Brian :

That is generally used to reference the useable life span of the oil in your engine.

Customer :

basically what should be the right percentage of one oil life..?

Brian :

I don't understand what you asking?

Brian :

Are you still needing assistance?

Customer :

yes i need you on this..what does it mean when the spanner symbol appeared on my dashboard..? and what is the solution in rectify this problem..?

Customer :

what normally should be the oil life % of my car ? and what engine oil can u recommend for my car..?

Expert:  Vinnie Boyett replied 3 years ago.
Hello ....thanks for allowing me to help you with this issue.The spanner symbol is a maintenance minder. This light will come on once you have about 15% oil life left. Oil life means that the oil has done its job lubricating , cooling , and absorbing contaminants inside your engine.Now it has become dirty, burnt and thin. You should have your oil changed every time your minder comes on inside of that 15% window.Also ,at different intervals..sub codes or the little numbers beside the percentage will pop up. each number represents a specific service that you should have done according to Honda recommendations.Hope this has been helpful...if you need me again ..dont hesitate to ask.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
beside the 15% showing on the dashboard..there is a A written before the 15% and i dont know what this means.? i will be glad if you can assist/educate me more on this.if i changed the car oil will the spanner symbol disappear?..and what percentage should be the right one if i change the oil..?
the letters and little numbers that will appear at different mileage intervals represent different items that need to be serviced at that interval.i.e....A1 would mean oil change and tire rotation..and so forth....when you change your oil..you have to reset the minder light....to do this...turn on the key cycle the trip button to the oil life...hold the button down until it blinks....once it blinks...release the button and hold it down again...then it should change to 100%
Vinnie Boyett, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 20 yrs exp.Honda factory trained technician