Steve
Steve, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  13+ years with Honda,ase certified over 25 years
13523613

Honda accord 1992 Accord windshield wipers stopped working,

1992 Accord windshield wipers stopped working, can't start the car even with battery booster
headlights work, horn sounds strong, but when ignition engaged, everything goes dark.
any suggestions where to start looking?
Thank you.

Steve :

The battery may be shorted internally which would be the reason a jump will not start the car. You also need to make sure the battery cables have good clean connections at both ends. You can verify the shorted battery by checking voltage when you try to start the car. The voltage will drop to almost nothing. You may also want to take the battery in and have it tested.

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

the battery was low on waer, I added distilled water and charged the battery for 3 or 4 hours. When I tried to start the car again, got the same response, nothing. I could hear the click of a solenoid, but nothing else and everything went dark until releasingthe switch. Still sound like a battery problem?

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

Also, the windshield wipers won't return to the rest, or down, position, but stay up when turned off.

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

HI Steve!

Steve :

Just because water was added and the battery was charged does not make it a good battery. the wipers may be related but I think we need to concentrate on getting the car started first. Do you have a volt meter?

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

yes, I have a V/M.

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

Hello?

Steve :

OK, attach the volt meter first to the battery terminals and let me know what the voltage is before you try to start the car and then when you try to start it.

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

The voltage was 12.6 before I tred to start it and 11.2 or 11.3V. I have taken the battery out and am on my way to town to have it tested. Any suggestions on wh the wipers won't return to the down position?

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

Thanks.

Steve :

Do the wipers work at all? the battery voltage makes it sound like a connection problem but testing it will be a good start.

Steve :

I am going to be away from the computer. I will be back to see how you are doing later. Check your ground connections. There is one off the transmission you need to make sure it is intact.

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

the battery checked out good; I replaced it anyway (when did batteries get so expensive?) and the car started up fine? I cleaned the cable terminals, they didn't appear corroded, but cleaned them with steel wool, anyway.

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

The wipers are a mystery. The 30A fuse appears good, swapped it out anyway. Was able to push the arms downward. Still no action; then out of nowhere, the right blade moved to the upright position and is rigid. After a few minutes, I'm able to push it down again. A few minutes later, it moves upward....this has repeated several times. I jiggled wires, nothing. I'm totally confused about the wipers.

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

Thanks!

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

Hello ?

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

Anyone there?

Steve :

Glad you got the car started. Are you saying only one of the wipers move?

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

neither wper moves when turned on. passenger side moves by itself, then stays up and can't bemoved. After a few minutes I can move it back to the rest position. Then, unexpectedly it moves upward again.

Steve :

I do not know where you are but sometimes when the wipers are frozen to the windshild the nuts holing the arms loosen and then the wipers do not work. Pull up the plastic cover on the end of the arm and check and see if the nuts are loose.

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

Not that cold in south Louisiana, Steve. How can I check wipr relay &/or wiper motor?

Steve :

Give me a few minuets and I will see what I can dig up for you.

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

thank you.

Steve :

Sounds like the wiper motor may be bad but here is some test procedures for you. HERE and HERE

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

thank you..will test tomorrow and get back to you.

Steve :

Sounds like a plan.

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

Hello Steve ! Just discovered my granddaughter's 1992 Accord is a 1994 accord. The wiper motor functions when connected to the battey. I can't find a relay for this. Is the switch in the same place as the test info you sent me yesterday?

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

Got the wiper assembly out of the cowl and found one of the nuts/bushings that connect the actuator arms had come off and diappeared. Can't find any locally. Honda dealer says I have to buy one of the arms and it comes with two of the nuts/bushings ($25). I also destroyed all the push in studs that hold the cowl down ( another heart attack) trying to get them out. I think the actuator arm that was loose may have been in a bind and prevented the right arm from moving....that's what I'm hoping, cause when I hooked everythin back up, the wipers shafts were working. Will let you know hat happens when the parts get here in a few days. Thanks.

Customer :

Steve, got the new arm today, installed it, everything seems fine.

Customer :

Thanks for your help!

Customer :

Apparently, you'll need to answer this note before I can activae "Accept". Will do so as soon as you reply. Thanks again,

Customer :

Bob P....1/21/11

Steve :

Glad to help. I wanted to make sure you were happy before letting you accept.