acura mstr
acura mstr, Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master tech, , CA smog. ASE L1

Honda Pilot EX-L had the check engine light come on in my

Customer Question

had the check engine light come on in my 07 honda pilot, read code p0420, bank#1. had the rear cat replaced at a midas shop, half the price. light came back on within 1 day. no other issues. what else might be causing this, honda dealer said the o2 sensors tested fine.
Category: Honda
Expert:  acura mstr replied 3 years ago.

Hi Sir or Madam, welcome to Just Answer. I'm acuramstr. When midas changed the rear cat. Was the one attached to the engine or the one under the car? Did they use a factory cat?

Edited by acura mstr on 1/13/2011 at 3:41 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it was the one attached to the engine, the rear one. the receipt shows it being a walker ultra converter, i assume this is not the factory converter, not sure.
Ok, I have had this problem before on his engine. The after market cats are not efficient enough to pass the monitor(test the computer does when driving) because to keep the cost down the after market company use less platinum in the cat so there isn't as much material to react with the exhaust . You will need to use a factory cat to get the light to stay off.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so i just have to eat the cost and have someone else replace the aftermarket converter with a factory one? in your opinion is thier anything the shop will do. can i show them info that says the aftermarket converters arent fixing the computer. what do you suggest?
Well the midas store changed the cat for the p0420 code and it didn't fix the problem so they carry the responsibility to fix the car. I would ask them to credit you the cost of the first cat against a factory one and do the labor for free . After all their repair didn't fix the problem. Midas is a big company so Im sure they have a warranty on the repairs they perform. If they wont work with you contact your states bureau of automotive repair and file a complaint against them. that will usually get them to work with you

Edited by acura mstr on 1/13/2011 at 4:32 AM EST
acura mstr, Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master tech, , CA smog. ASE L1
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
if they run a full diagnostic test on the car will it only read code po420 or will it be specific as to exactly what the problem is, i.e. now its an o2 sensor or it is the rear cc?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If it is p0420 then it's the cat . The sensors on this car are very sensitive and they have their own codes they set . P0420 is only for cat efficiency . Unlike some domestic makes a bad secondary sensor wont set a p0420 .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so since it read bank #1 it is the rear cc, correct? that is the one they changed. also, in your opinion am i ok to drive on this for awhile?

It wont hurt to drive it a while . bank 1 is the rear closest to the firewall correct . here is a drawing showing the locations .

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
alright last question, in your opinion is this cc the most common one to be replaced or is it the front one? 50/50? if it was the front cc it would have read a different code?
The rear one (on the engine) seems to be the most common one to fail for some reason. About 75% of the time it is the rear cat (p0420)