Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

how to change or adjust speedometer on 1992 honda civic

Customer Question

Category: Honda
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.

hi

5mph is not too bad off......a smaller diameter tire may even correct this....but to answer the question,,,the directions to replace the ip is below

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Honda Civic/CRX/del Sol 1984-1995

Instrument Panel

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

1984-87 Models

See Figures 1 through 6

FIG : Fig. 1: Dashboard accessory removal-1984-87 models image

FIG : Fig. 2: Dashboard assembly removal-1984-87 models except wagon image

FIG : Fig. 3: Dashboard assembly removal-1984-87 wagon image

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the following components:
    1. Steering wheel
    2. Heater/defroster ducts
    3. Right and left side end caps
    4. On Civic Wagon, the right and left defroster garnish
    5. Clock
    6. Ashtray assembly

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 4: To access the steering wheel, remove the Honda cap-1984-87 models

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 5: Unbolt the wheel from its hub using the appropriate ratchet and extension

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 6: Once the steering wheel is removed, it makes access to the rest of the dashboard much easier

3. Remove the lower dashboard panel and disconnect the speedometer cable and the ground wire.
  4. Remove the glove box assembly. On wagon models, remove the tray under the dashboard.
  5. Remove the temperature control panel face plate. Remove the radio, if equipped.
  6. Remove the plastic covers from the dashboard mounting bolts and remove the bolts.
  7. Disconnect the harness connector from the main fuse box.
  8. Pull the dashboard back, while at the same time lifting it slightly so that it comes off of the guide pin at the center. Be careful it doesn't fall when it releases from the pin.

To install:

1. Position the dashboard inside the vehicle, lift it to align the guide pin at the center. Take your time and make sure that no wires are pinched, an assistant might be helpful for this part of the operation.
  2. Install the mounting bolts. Tighten the mounting bolts in an alternating pattern, making sure that the dashboard is properly positioned and that no cables or wires are pinched or incorrectly routed. Install the bolt covers.
  3. Connect the fuse box plug. Install the radio and heater face plate.
  4. Install the glove box or lower tray assembly.
  5. Connect the speedometer cable and ground cable. Install the lower dash panel.
  6. Install the ashtray, clock and all of the ventilation ducts.
  7. Install the steering wheel. Connect the negative battery cable.
  8. Check all of the components for proper operation and check the dashboard for rattles while driving.

1988-91 Models

See Figures 7, 8 and 9

2. Slide the seats all the way back and remove the center console assembly.
  3. Remove the fuse box lid and the knee bolster.
  4. Disconnect the connectors from the fuse box, it may be necessary to lower the fuse box out of the way first. The fuse box can be lowered by removing the two mounting nuts.
  5. Disconnect the ground cable at the right of the steering column and disconnect the power mirror switch, if equipped.
  6. Pull the knob off of the driver's side air vent and remove the face plate. Remove the two screws that retain the vent control lever.
  7. Remove the center panel and the radio. Remove the heater control panel and the mounting panel.
  8. Remove the instrument cluster assembly.
  9. Remove the plastic cover from the center of the dashboard, near the windshield. Remove the side window defroster garnish panel at both ends of the dashboard.
  10. Remove the steering column mounting bolts and lower the column.
  11. Remove the dashboard retaining bolts; there are two at each end, one at the upper center, one at the lower center, one in the glove box area and one under the lower left side.
  12. Lift and remove the dashboard from the fire wall, pull it out through the door. Before pulling it completely out, check to see that all of the wires are disconnected.

To install:

1. Place the dashboard in position inside the vehicle and lift it towards the fire wall.
  2. Make sure that no wires or cables are pinched and install the mounting bolts. Tighten the mounting bolts in an alternating pattern. Make sure that the whole dashboard is centered properly.
  3. Raise the steering column into position. Install the radio and heater control panel.
  4. If it was lowered, install the fuse box and connect the wires.
  5. Install the remaining trim components and the instrument cluster.
  6. Install the steering wheel and the center console.
  7. Connect the negative battery cable and check the operation of the components.
  8. Check the dashboard for squeaks and rattles while driving.

FIG : Fig. 7: Dashboard assembly removal-1988-91 sedan

image

FIG : Fig. 8: Dashboard assembly removal-1988-91 hatchback and CRX image

FIG : Fig. 9: Dashboard assembly removal-1988-91 models image

1992-95 Models

See Figures 10, 11 and 12

This procedure requires deactivating the SRS (airbag). Read and follow the SRS precautions found in Chassis Electrical before proceeding.

FIG : Fig. 10: Dashboard assembly removal-1992-95 models except del Sol Cimage

FIG : Fig. 11: Dashboard assembly removal-del Sol image

FIG : Fig. 12: Dashboard component removal-1992-95 models image

1. Disconnect the negative and positive battery cables.
  2. Remove the front seats.
  3. Remove the center console assembly.
  4. Remove the fuse box lid and the knee bolster.
  5. Unplug the connectors from the fuse box, it may be necessary to lower the fuse box out of the way first. The fuse box can be lowered by removing the two mounting nuts.
  6. Remove the radio Disconnect the ground cable at the right of the steering column and disconnect the power mirror switch, if equipped.
  7. Wrap the steering column with a protective towel, unbolt and lower it.
  8. Remove the access panel, the nuts, and the passenger's airbag, if equipped.
  9. Remove the access panels the side and upper air vent.
  10. Remove the power mirror control switch and unplug the connector.
  11. Disconnect the under-dash fuse/relay box.
  12. Disconnect the air mix control cable.
  13. Remove the dashboard mounting bolts. Lift and remove the dashboard. Take care to not scratch it during removal.

Wrap the A/T gear position indicator panel and the lever, if applicable.

To install:

4. Install the fuse box and connect the wires.
  7. Connect the negative and positive battery cable and check the operation of the components.

Edited by tims auto repair on 1/8/2011 at 5:45 AM EST