scott
scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase certified, 24 years, bumper to bumper all makes very familuar with Honda products
12331040

Honda CR-V 2004 Honda CRV SRS light came on when started

2004 Honda CRV: SRS light came on when started the car and stay on. Also engine light

would come on when gas is about half tank full and go off when I top off the tank.
Category: Honda
Expert:  scott replied 3 years ago.

scott :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will gladly assist you with your vehicle concern.

scott :

The SRS light will need to be scanned to see what the code is. Each procedure to extract the codes requires interfacing with the DLC connector under the dash with a capable scanner. Most obvious are the seat belt pre tensionors, clock springs and seat sensors {usually pass side sensor}

scott :

As far as the Check engine code, if you have an Evaporative issue {this is the gas fume control for the car} and it has a leak in the system or a stuck solenoid, it will usually ignore the system then the tank is over 3/4 or under 1/4 of a tank. My bet is when it is codes, you will find it being a P0440,441, 442 or 445 code.

scott :

BotXXXXX XXXXXne, due to the SRS systems complexity and the OBDII system and the Check engine lamp, you Will need a capable scanner to diagnose each.

Customer :

How much do you think these problems will cost me at the repair shop? Just an estimate so at least I would have a slight clue to what I'm walking in to. Thanks.

scott :

To diagnose, we would get 64.00 for the scan and probably 34.50 to diagnose the air bag and if the check engine lamp was an EVAP issue, 25.00 for the smoke test. Now if it is a no brainier on the SRS, and there are some module codes that are just for replacing the module, then the diagnostic charge may not exist, just labor to install the part and the part.

scott :

So, worst case to find out and not get the repair done, would be around $130.00 Now, if you buy the repair, many shops will eat the diagnostic charge, or a portion of it. That depends on how hungry they are and how much of a wheeler and dealer you are. Plus cookies never hurt.

Customer :

As a clueless consumer, I am satisfied with your answer. I will be taking my CRV to the only Honda dealership in town that has mixed reviews on the internet. I hope they'll take good care of my CRV. This is my first experience with "just answer." and it's a positive one. Thanks, Scott.

scott :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX to Honda is a good bet. We have are the Local shop that dies the Honda's in town, {closest is 2 hrs away} and I see plenty of butcher jobs out there. If there is a Honda dealer in town, by all means, use it. Good luck and let me k now what you find. Oh, and let me thank you in advance for the accept.

scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Ase certified, 24 years, bumper to bumper all makes very familuar with Honda products