Honda man
Honda man, Honda Service Technician
Experience:  Gold level Honda training
11197966

Honda CRV I have a 2003 Honda CRV that the cruise control

I have a 2003 Honda CRV that the cruise control quit working and the switch has been replaced twice by a mechanic but it has not corrected the problem. What happens is the cruise control will work for about a half hour or forty-five minutes then just go off, the resume button or the set button, located on the steering wheel, will not work until I turn off the actual cruise control switch and turn it back on, then I can use the set button to set the cruise control again. The cruise control will work for a while, then go off again. I then have to go through the same process of turning off the switch and turning it back on again to be able to use the set button on the steering wheel. The time frame that the cruise control will work gets shorter and shorter as I am driving. When I first start out, it may work for thirty to forty-five minues before quitting, then it goes down to maybe fifteen minutes before it quites working, then maybe ten, five, or fewer minutes as I continue driving. My mechanic is at a loss as to what the problem may be as he cannot get it to quit when he drives the car, however, he only drives the car for maybe fifteen or twenty minutes which is when it usually works for thirty or forty-five minutes. Has anyone else had this problem and what might the problem be. My mechanic says it may be an electrical problem and could cost a lot in labor to find the answer.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda man replied 3 years ago.

Honda man :

Hello, I would love to help you with any Honda or automotive questions.

Honda man :

when you say he replaced the cruise controle switch do you mean the brake switch

Honda man :

also called brake/cruise switch

Customer :

I mean the switch that is located on the dash on the left of the steering wheel that actually turns on the cruise control

Honda man :

ok that switch does not have a reputation for going bad, the stop/cruise switch located on the brake petal

Honda man :

fails very often and causes many cruise problems

Honda man :

let me find a photo

Customer :

I am in the process of contacting my mechanic right now to double check to see if he even considered this fact. I will be in contact with you in a minute

Customer :

My mechanic says that they checked this switch and that it was working when they checked it, however could it show that it works at times and then still causes the problem at some other time

Honda man :

the link is a photo of an accord switch but it is in the same place on yours

Honda man :

your CRV thinks you are pushing on the brakes, the switch might be out of adjustment or more often it is failing

Customer :

I am having my mechanic replace this switch, thank you so much for your input in this matter. You could be correct in your statement as I am a worman and it seems that this happens a lot when women take a vehicle in for repairs.

Honda man :

no problem I am a 13 year Honda mechanic and I think this should solve your problems

Honda man :

anything else I can answer for you today?

Customer :

no but thanks so much for the help I have been given

Honda man, Honda Service Technician
Experience: Gold level Honda training