Steve
Steve, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  13+ years with Honda,ase certified over 25 years
13523613

1997 Honda: I changed a heater hose..engine block

I changed a heater hose in our 1997 Honda Odyssey and carelessly broke a sending unit of some sort. It is near the heater nose connection on the engine block. It appears to be a heat sending unit of some sort as the center of the broken off part is white and looks to be made of an insulating material of some sort. And of course it does have a wire running to it. I need an engine schematic to help me identify it.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.

Steve :

it only has one wire in the connector?

Customer:

yes

Steve :

Ok let me post a picture of waht I think you broke. BRB.

Customer:

the part that broke off is next to the heater hose connection on the engine block

Customer:

Also, the part that broke off left two metal prongs in the engine block

Customer:

If I could get an engine schematic that shows me the connection of the heater hose coming from the fire wall to engine block, it should show that sensor as well which is in front of the hose connection.

Steve :

I think what you broke is the engine coolant temperature sensor. Is it in picture 25 HERE

Steve :

It might be in picture 27,the pictures are not the best but 27 is closer to the heater hose

Customer:

no, it is below the distributor cap.

Steve :

that would be in picture 25 then. Did the check engine light come on when you started the van?

Steve :

22 in this picture HERE shows the fan switch below the distributor cap.

Customer:

picture 26 is the better reference. But again, the plug is under the distributor cap. You cannot see it from these pictures. It is even difficult to see in real time. I had to take off the air ram to get to it.

Customer:

This last link you sent said that the link is broken

Steve :

I think that wasn't correct anyway. Did the plug go straight up?

Customer:

The plug enters the block horizontally

Customer:

I'm going to run outside to get a refresher and to see if I can identify a part close to it for you

Steve :

ok, I have the other link again to try. HERE

Customer:

It says this link is broken. Though I went outside and looked again and there are 3 plugs in a row. The front one is the thermostat plug, the second one is thin: about5/16" dia., and the third one( directly under the distributor cap) is about 1" dia. it has 2 wires( sorry) a red and one green

Customer:

Is anyone there?

Steve :

Ok which one of the 3 are broken? is it the one with the red and green wires?

Customer:

The red and green wire. This is directly under the distributor cap. Closest to the firewall

Steve :

ok, let me look at the wiring diagrams again.

Steve :

Are the wires actually red/white and green/blue?

Steve :

That would be red with a white stripe and green with a blue stripe.

Customer:

No. It has a sheathe of course, but if you pull away the sheathe, you can see the red and green wire. I don't know if it is striped. If you want to wait a second, I can go outside again. Is that what you want?

Steve :

Well the other 2 wire plug would be red and black. But you can look again so we can be sure

Customer:

Okay, it'll take me a minute.

Steve :

No prblem.

Customer:

Okay, the front thermostat wires are: green/white and black wire with a green insulator cap. The second one is green/white or yellow. The third one is red/white and green/white or yellow.

Customer:

You know, I can take a picture of this and email it to you. Do you want me to do that?

Steve :

That should be the engine coolant temperature sensor for the vehicles computer system. With this broken and disconnected the van will be hard to start since the computer is going to think it is like -40 out. the check engine light should also come on. A picture shouldn't be necessary and the site doesn't allow personal emails. the green one is for the cooling fan and the other is for the gauge.

Customer:

Well, when I started the van, the idiot lites came on as they always do, but after start up no lights are on

Steve :

that is good then. i was thinking the check engine light would come on because the sensor for the intake air is not going to reading close to what the other sensor is reading.

Customer:

So, where are then?

Steve :

where is what?

Customer:

Are saying that it is the it is the engine coolant sensor? That I believe is in the front where the thermostat is isn't it?

Steve :

Yes it is the engine coolant sensor. The other one you are thinking is another radiator fan switch. The van has 2. The thermostat is actually where the lower radiator hose attaches at the motor.

Customer:

Well, okay then. We can close this chat and I'll try that. Thanks

Steve :

OK, have a great Holiday.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Steve, Honda Mechanic
Experience: 13+ years with Honda,ase certified over 25 years