JHoop
JHoop, Honda Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner

how do i activate my new key?

Customer Question

how do i activate my new key?
Category: Honda
Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
Hello , my name isXXXXX and thank you for choosing justanswer.com. Please tell me all the problem as my answers are based on the information you provide.

I uploaded the procedure in .pdf format here to justanswer. You can download it by clicking HERE. I hope this helps you.

If you need more help, please ask. If this answer helped you, please click ACCEPT.

Happy Holidays and god bless.

Please leave positive feedback. As you can see I have excellent ratings in all my categories. Please remember I am not at the vehicle, Please don't leave a negative report. Thanks again, JHoop
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i am thouroughly confused, what is the transmitter and what is the keyless receiver unit? i already have a key, this new key has been cut but never programmed to the car. Will this rase the code for my original key?
Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
Does your key have push buttons on it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes, lock, unlock and panic
Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
OK. Do these functions work?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, the key only unlocks the door when placed in the keyhole.
Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
Follow the procedure I gave you. All of the goodies will work.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What is the transmitter, keyless receiver unit and right kick panel. do i just insert the key and follow the directions?
Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
Sorry you are having trouble here. Just follow the procedure as described in that Honda document.
Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
I'm doing a follow up and noticed that you havent replied back or ACCEPT the answer to your question yet. Please reply back if you need additional help or press ACCEPT so that the question may be closed out. Keep in mind that the experts on this site are compensated for their time spent helping customers once ACCEPT is selected. Thanks again for using Just Answer. JHoop
JHoop, Honda Technician
Experience: 14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it didn't work, now what?
Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
Do the door locks work now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no, it is still the same. i followed the directions and the lock/unlock never worked. the key is still only good as a key to manually unlock the door.
Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
There is something wrong with the system if it will not activate your key.

Or the sequence was in error.

I have used that sequence before with great results.

By following that sequence all should work.

Does the engine start?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no, it won't turn over.
Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
Once the key is programmed it will start. All you have is one non working key?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, just the one. they are quite expensive. I had the key cut at the dealership and now i am trying to program a spare. i have asked for someone else to try following the instructions in case my blonde is showing but to no avail, still doesn't work. Are there any instructions have something to do with blowing the horn or something simple like turn on the lights.

Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
The sequence I gave you is the right one EXCEPT I did not know you did not have a key that worked. The key that works goes into the ignition while you hold the new one in your hand and point it at the transponder module. That is the secret to that chart. Sorry I did not ask you that earlier. Honda is the only place to have it programmed with their factory based scanner.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
whats the transponder module?
Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
That is what the transmitter key sends a signal to. It then sends a signal to the computer to open and lock the doors, activate the immobilizer and start the engine. In the passenger side kick panel near the door.graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have now been informed that Honda is HPDS Dealer Only! I have had one of our shop technicians attempt it and he in turn called another friend and there has to be a machine involved. I am sorry for wasting so much of your time and still not being able to get it to work. Thank you
Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
No worries and again I apologize for not asking if you had a programed key. See, once the immoblizer light on the dash clears it will allow the new key to be programed.

If that light still blinks it will not program any new key. JHoop