Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Honda Diagnostics
18617752

Honda Accord LX what type of oil should be put in a 2007 honda

what type of oil should be put in a 2007 honda accord v4 with about 58k miles.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

At this milage, Honda recommends:

Engine Oil

SAE Viscosity 5W-20

It's not nessacary to use synthetic, but the 10w-30 is a little heavier than the 5W-20 which can put extra strain on the oil pump. I would recommend going back to the 5w-20 at the next oil change interval, if not sooner.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The maintenance light and the oil life still says 5 percent, can that be because It's not the right oil? and also I only put what the put at auto parts told me to put I told them about my car and both of them said to put 10w-30.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

The above recommendation is straight from Honda. I'd be willing to bet that Honda knows more about Honda engines, than the guy at the parts store who makes $9/hr. Stick with the Honda recommendations if you want the vehicle to last.

As for the oil life- it needs to be reset after each oil change. The vehicle does not recognize when you change the oil, it must be manually reset. Here's the procedure:

Resetting the Engine Oil Life Display

Reset the display after completing the required maintenance service. You will see "OIL LIFE 100%" on the information display the next time you turn the ignition switch to the ON (II) position.

Reset the maintenance minder as follows:

NOTE: Vehicle must be stopped to reset.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON (II) position.
  2. If oil life is more than 15%, Press the select/reset knob repeatedly until the engine oil life is displayed.
  3. Press the select/reset knob for more than 10 seconds The engine oil life and the maintenance item code(s) will blink.

4. NOTE: If you are resetting the display when the engine oil life is more than 15%, make sure the maintenance items requiring service have been performed before resetting this display.

5. Press the select/reset knob for another 5 seconds. The maintenance item code(s) will disappear, and the engine oil life will reset to "100".
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -
Experience: 18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Honda Diagnostics