thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience

2003 Honda Pilot EX: the idle surges when warm..Idle control Valve

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Honda Pilot EX that the idle surges when warm. I suspect it is the Idle control Valve P#: 16022-P8A-A02. What would like is the process for checking the operation of the ICV unit. It is a 3-wire unit. How do I check for solenoid continuity. I am reading more than 5Mohms no matter which pins I test with the ohm meter. tI should be bellow 10ohms or so. Which pin on the ICV does what? I can not find the wiring diagram for the ICV.

Category: Honda
Expert:  thebesthonda replied 3 years ago.

thebesthonda :

If you have any more questions or need anything please don't hesitate to ask. If the answer I send helps you, please click ACCEPT.

thebesthonda :

Have you removed and cleaned the IAC valve yet? Normally, these are simply dirty. These rarely ever need to be replaced. Let me know.

Customer :

Yes I did remove the IAC valve. It is 2/3 open without the connector connected.

Customer :

I also cleaned it with carborator cleaner.

Customer :

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

thebesthonda :

My pleasure.

thebesthonda :

Did this happen all of the sudden or after a repair? Was the check engine light on while driving?

Customer :

Denso part number MX1368000-1011

thebesthonda :

Customer :

Yes, it was sudden with the OBC codes are P1129

thebesthonda :

Ok, let me gather some info for you.

Customer :

P1129 is waht led me initially to the IAC valve.

thebesthonda :

CLICK HERE Honda actually has a service bulletin for this issue.

Customer :

I had to remove the TB because I could not access the two philip screws holding the IAC valve under the TB.

thebesthonda :

Woops...it didn't attach...let me try again.

Customer :

I was hopping to avoid this but I could not remeove the Philip screws any other way.

thebesthonda :

CLICK HERE

Customer :

Pilot has 180k miles.

thebesthonda :

Did you click the blue link above?

Customer :

Interesting about the power steering pressure switch. Did not test for that. Makes sense if EMU did not get the proper input from a load bering item like AC, power steering, etc.

thebesthonda :

Correct. Take a look at that, and give me a yell.

Customer :

How many load sensors are there that I need to check? Just the power steering?

thebesthonda :

Yes, that is a known cause of the problem you are having. It is very common to see this. The map and the iac rarely ever fail.

Customer :

Again going back to the IAC Valve. I could not get a reading with the ohm meter for the IAC's solenoid. Which of the 3 pins is the solenoid? I should be getting a reading of near 10 ohms from at least 2 of the 3 pins.

thebesthonda :

I think you are wasting your time with the iac. If it were defective, you would have a different code.

Customer :

Inthe PDF you gave me the link for It said to go to REPAIR PROCEDURE B. Here it said to reffer to:

Pilot:

Refer to page 11-150 of the

2003–2004

Pilot Service Manual

,

Customer :

I do not have the service manual.

thebesthonda :

Don't worry about that....simply check to see if the wires are broken. I sent the bulletin for a reference.

Customer :

Will do. Give me till tomorrow.

Customer :

Customer :

Thanks

thebesthonda :

My pleasure. I will be online tomorrow night.

Customer :

I just got back late from NY. So I will check the wiring tomorrow (Tue).

Customer :

thebesthonda :

No problem at all. Thank you.

Customer :

Customer :

I did find another IAC valve and compared it to the faulty one with an ohm meter. The solenoid contacts on the good one read 60kohms and the bad one read an open circuit (open coil solenoid). So I replaced the IAC valve and the idle is rock steady.

Customer :

/ - - -\ from left to right pins 1, 2, 3. between pins 1 and 2 60Kohms. All other pins 5Mohms or more is ok.

Customer :

If pins 1 and 2 read higher than 60Kohms the solenoid is open and is bad.

Customer :

If pins 1 and 2 is less than 10Kohm the solenoid is shorted out and is bad.

Customer :

Put a 9Volt batery to pins 1 and 2 the solenoid should rotate the valve stem. If not its bad.

Customer :

The good one did rotate. The bad one did not.

Customer :

I did check the wire from the power steering pressure sensor and it seemed OK. Wiggling the wire made no change to the idle hunting.

Customer :

Thanks for your help.

Customer :

I will click on the Accept button.

Customer :

thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience: 26 years experience
My pleasure. I was glad to assist you.