Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2002 Honda Odyssey Check Engine light came on with no symptom. Read out was P070

2002 Honda Odyssey Check Engine light came on with no symptom. Read out was P0700 and 40-01, which is a TCC (shift solenoid) code. Took to tranny guy who says when torque converter gets hot converter clutch not holding. A friend who is a former Honda master mechanic says to replace the solenoids first. The tranny guy says replacing solenoids a waste of good money, as the tranny needs a rebuild. Also note that "TCS" light comes on when driving, then goes off. What do you think?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Unfortunately, it has been my experience that this is going to need either a new transmission or a complete rebuild. what happens is that the clutch friction material gets into the front pump and the converter and basically destroy them, as well as the valve body and other parts. This is a well known issue on this particular transmission and I am surprised that your friend that was a Honda tech isnt aware of it, unless he got out of the business before this year model came out or he didnt specialize in transmissions.

But anyway, the tech that told you that replacing the solenoids is a waste of time and money is very likely right as in over 90% of the time it will need to be overhauled or transmission replaced.

Sorry to have to confirm the bad news, but this has been my experience with these transmissions
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If I were to replace the solenoids first, what would the likely scenario be if your analysis is correct. In other words, might I buy us some time, or do the shift solenoids only mask the underlying problem. And, given that I've noticed no symptoms of slippage, is it possible that if we drive the car gently (e.g., 55 on the highway), we could get some continued use before tranny failure. Or is this too risky, in your opinion? I understand that there are no guarantees here, just trying to get more of a sense. (And--if I replace the solenoids and then go for the rebuild, would I have to get new solenoids again?). Thanks.

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

As you are not experiencing any slippage at this point, you are better off saving the money on the solenoids as they wont make any noticable difference. with babying the vehicle - no stomping on the gas to take off from lights(hard shifting doing this), no unnecessary use of the passing gear, you should be able to get 4-6 months out of it before major symptoms show up and you have to rebuild or replace the tranny.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

If you have any questions feel free to ask for more help, otherwise you need to click the accept button to pay for services rendered per the customer agreement as this is a paysite and the expert is not paid for their time, experience, or any factory directions or diagrams provide until you do so. If you have a subscription service, you still need to click the accept button to pay expert, although you are NOT charged again. Thank you and have a great day
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm planning on paying--but figure once I hit "accept" I'll lose contact with you. So I wanted to get the follow up question about the TCS light answered. And as long as I have you engaged, our other car is a '91 Accord LX with 155,000 or so on it. I've had the check engine go off on that one and it flashes a distributor code. I have found that occasionally the car won't start (especially if particularly hot or cold) and the light comes on. Then if I immediately turn off the ignition and start again, it starts and the light goes out. Is this one common also--and is it a distributor replacement I'm looking at or something else? Thanks for all your help.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Ok, first, you can come back, log back in to Justanswer using your username and then re-open any question you have asked for Free follow-ups at anytime. I have had some customers come back a year or more later for some followup to original question.

Ok, the TCS light normally is only set when there is an issue with the traction control and ABS system as it is tied to the ABS system - namely the wheel speed sensors. If there were transmission slippage, then it could be a false reading due to this, but since there isnt, we have another issue. The first step will be to get the ABS control module read for fault codes. As there are 4 wheel speed sensors, we need to know which wheel the concern is at. Once we have that, we can go into diagnosing.

The 91 accord is definitely a faulty distirbutor - specifically the cmp sensor which is integrated into it. Replace your distributor and it will be good to go. Always make sure to replace the distributor O-ring at the rear of it where it seats, otherwise you will have oil leak into the new distributor and damage it. And yes, this is a very common problem
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks again. I'm going to send this reply so you get it--if you can tell me rough cost of the distributor fix that would be great. In the meantime, I'll hit accept. Wish you had better news on the transmission issue, but your expertise is a huge help in figuring out which way to go. Think we should keep the car or are we doomed to further big payout repairs on the 2002?
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

you can get a remanufactured distributor for $190-225 at most major parts stores and they generally have them in stock.

The transmission was the one big issue with the 2002 Odyessy. Once you are past that, you should be able to get another 100-150,000 miles out of it before facing anything else major. I would keep it and budget for the transmission job to be done in late spring early summer next year.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.