david
david, Heavy Duty Repair Mechanic
Experience:  Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines
533087

Honda Odyssey EX I had the timing belt and water pump replaced

I had the timing belt and water pump replaced on my 2003 Honda Odyssey with 104,800 miles on the odometer last Thursday. The service advisor informed me that oil was detected on the tensioner and recommended that it be replaced also. I agreed to have it replaced. After the work was completed by the Honda dealer, I drove the car home, and smelled something like burning oil coming from the engine when I parked it in my garage. There was some fluid dripping on the garage floor. I took the vehicle back to the dealership. I was subsequently informed that there was a leak which was attributed to a broken gasket like seal in the oil pan which was replaced. I took the car home again, and the acrid smell of burning fluid and drips happened again. I'm at my wits end with this situation. What could be the problem? My service advisor and his mechanic don't seem to have a clue.
Category: Honda
Expert:  david replied 6 years ago.

david :

Hi thank you for your question hope this helps.

david :

To replace the timing belt You need to remove the dipstick tube. It is vary common When reinstalling the tube for the O-ring that seals it to get ripped. This will cause a oil leek But only after the engine and car have been driven.

david :

What color is the oil you are seeing on the ground?

david :

Black = engine oil
red = power steering or transmission fluid.

JACUSTOMER-k98lqu6j- :

Red.

JACUSTOMER-k98lqu6j- :

I put a white plastic garbage bag under my car engine overnight and just looked at the drips again. The color is neither red nor black but yellowish.

david :

Yellowish?? really that is strange. Want color it coolant in the radiator tank?

david :

If it is leaking from your car it can only be one of one of 5 things engine. oil, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, engine coolant, Gas,

david :

That is all the fluids in a car. It could be gas because gas is a yellowish color.

JACUSTOMER-k98lqu6j- :

The coolant itself is blue so I would expect the color in the radiator to have a bluish tint. I had a dental appointment this morning and used the car. It dripped a little, and there was a trace of burning smell though not as strong as before. I telephoned a service advisor where I had the car worked on, and he said they used some kind of brake liquid or fluid to try to track the leak and the fluid they used was yellowish in color. I told him I would bring the car and the plastic with the drippings on it back to the dealership tomorrow morning. This is getting kind of bizarre. Anyway, I appreciate your reponse and will hold off on deciding on accepting/not accepting your answer for now.

david :

OK this is starting to make sense. The yellowish oil is a leak detection dye. This is put in the engine oil then with a UV light the mechanic can see were the leak is coming from. This is a good thing they should be able to tell were the leak is now.

david :

Let me know what they / you find.

JACUSTOMER-k98lqu6j- :

Sorry for my tardiness in getting back with you. The problem was diagnosed as a leaking rear main seal which was replaced for over $1,000. The vehicle no longer leaks, but for that much money I should be able to fly it as well as drive it!. The replacement seal cost less than $13, and the rest was labor. The car needs to have the valves adjusted and the spark plugs replaced. I was given an estimate of approximately $1,000. I may skip the Honda dealer this time and get estimates from reputable repair shops in the area. Anyway, I appreciate your reponse so I'm clicking on the accept button. Take care and thanks again.