MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Tech
Experience:  26 YEARS of real world experience .
10834442

2000 Accord V6 EX Auto. Starter or solenoid issue. I try

2000 Accord V6 EX Auto. Starter or solenoid issue. I try starting it, dashboard lights up, click, then all but 2-3 dash lights go out. Battery at 13.85V. Tried to jump/start - lots of clicks.

Is this a starter or solenoid issue? How to determine which and are they one unit? Then - how to R&R?

Thanks.
Category: Honda
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 4 years ago.

hello welcome to the site I am master tech and will be able to assist you today.

have you checked the battery voltage at the solenoid wire when cranking ?

if so what is the voltage ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I have not.

Apologies but I am not familiar with the layout of the Honda engine & compartment ... so wouldn't even know where to look at this point.

the starter is located in the front of the transmission just below the radiator hoses.

we see lot's of starter failures on these .

CLICK HERE for starter view. you will test the voltage at the blackwire with the white tracer on it

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the pic - that helps...

not sure what you mean by white tracer but is the wire referred to as "T2" in the pic? T3 runs to the neg terminal on the battery.

well look at the starter and you will see a black wire with a white stripe ( tracer) this is the solenoid wire. this is the wire you want to test for 12 volts when the key is in the cranking position

pull this wire off the solenoid and test it

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I see a white stripe on a case wrapped around the wire.

I am grabbing a neighbor to turn the key to the cranking position. Be back shortly

thanks for yoru patience

yes this is it. pull the little rubber boot back and it will expose the terminal

Edited by master tech on 10/23/2010 at 3:16 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i got 12V+ there w/o ignition in the "crank position'

Had the neighbor try to crank it and the voltage dropped to 4-5V

The lights dont work after trying to start it either.

ok your on the wring wire, this is a small wire that plugs into the starter solenoid.

see the attached image i posted with the red arrow

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Unfortunately, I have to go. I'll see what I can from here.

This figure is helpful.

Thanks for your help

your very welcome

please take a moment to leave me some feed back after the accept.

im sure this is a bad starter as we have replaced a lot of these and seen more and more all the time

also make sure the battery cables are clean and tight

MASTER TECH, Tech
Experience: 26 YEARS of real world experience .