Amedee, Former ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

97 Honda: fuel pump quit and fuel level guage..wont start..Ohms

I have a 97 Honda Passport, fuel pump quit and fuel level guage fell to empty at same time.Hot wire to fuel pump activates pump but won't start. Ohms at fuel level guage is 80 consistant with half tank gas. Did start one time day or so later, guage went to half, sat at idle for about three minutes then quit. Relay and fuse check OK. Am following wiring back to detect posible bad connection. Could this be a faulty ECM and How do I check it.

Did you still need help?

Does the check engine light come on with the key in the on position?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Check engine light does NOT come on. My Code reader doesn not link up, but I get a code 13 and 33 which may be old jumping the link block Have to check codes again tomorrow. code 33 I believe is not for the V6 3.2 TBI engine.I had suspect a bad ground as this vehicle has gone to a rust bucket frame wise, but thought about the 1998 recall for the wiring harness defect where the error reads too high speed and shuts down fiel supply, but don't know where to check for the defective terminal or speed system.
Does the tps have 5 volts to it with the key on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will check that first thing tomorrow and how do I reply after I leave this web page?

Just come back to this page and type your message and then hit reply

I will get it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I checked the tps voltage and there was none. That led me to faulty ECM or wiring. I checked the relay for the ECM first and it was faulty. I had initally checked the relay and fuses. for the fuel pump systems, but since I had some systems operational I did not think to check the ECM Relay. I swapped one of the other relays and good to go. Do I just click on the green accept button to complete my payment?

Glad to hear it is working!

YES... just click on accept and I will get credit.

LEt me know if you have any further questions!

Have a great day!