Kyle N.
Kyle N., Honda Master Tech
Experience:  Honda Dealer Tech, ASE Master Auto Tech

2002 Honda civic: overheating..Condenser fan motor runs..Radiator fan

2002 Honda civic overheating. Condenser fan motor runs when a/c is running. Radiator fan runs when a/c calls for it. Engine temp rises at idle. Running heater full bore does not lower temp. Fuses are good. Any suggestions?

Lets start at the beginning and bear with me because some of the questions are basic.

Is the coolant in the radiator full? What's the overflow bottle look like? Full? Low?

What about the radiator cap? How does the underside look? Is it all there or coming apart?

When it overheats feel the hoses, are they about the same temp? or is the upper hot and the lower just warm or cold?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Coolant level good, overflow at MAX. Radiator cap is good. Car has been sitting for 20min or so, but upper hose is still very warm, lower is "cool".
Run it until it's 3/4 way up the gauge and feel the upper and lower hoses. If the top is super hot and bottom just luke warm then you have a stuck closed thermostat. This is the test I use at the dealership. Let me know.