Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Why wont my 97 honda civic start Ive replaced the starter,

Why wont my 97 honda civic start? Ive replaced the starter, clutch switch, checked fuses, had the battery checked and it still wont start. It doesnt try to crank over or fire the starter. When it first happened I was able to get it started by popping the clutch. It ran fine, but when i turned it off it wouldnt start again, so i popped the clutch again and it started up again.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
AMEDEE :

Hello!

AMEDEE :

Did you still need help?

AMEDEE :

Are you saying that your Honda is not getting voltage to the starter?

AMEDEE :

DO you need a wiring diagram of this circuit?

Customer :

I dont really know whats going on with the starter. I put a new one on and still had the same problem. I took the battery to the auto store and they said it was fine. I think ive checked all the fuses in the whole car dealing with ignition. I think you can hear the fuel pump turn on and off, but no action from the starter

AMEDEE :

ok... hang on... let me get you a wiring diagram

Customer :

ok thanks

AMEDEE :

Ok... here is the wiring diagram. Key in the crank position, you should have two powers and one ground going into the starter cut relay. Then the starter cut relay should send power out the 4th wire to the starter motor.

AMEDEE :

You are going to want to start by checking the inputs to this relay

AMEDEE :

Then you will know which direction to go in.

AMEDEE :

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!
Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.

REGARDS

AMEDEE

Customer :

ok, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX this a try

AMEDEE :

You bet!

AMEDEE :

Please dont forget to hit the accept button so that I may receive credit for the time that I have spent with you.

AMEDEE :

Thanks and have a great day!

Customer :

Is the starter cut relay in the dash or engine? In reference to the clutch switch, where would it be located

AMEDEE :

Here is a picture.

Customer :

ok, thats great. One more thing, its my first time here, when i hit accept, is this conversations going to go away, or can i still view it

AMEDEE :

You can still view it even after accepting

Customer :

ok, thanks a lot.

AMEDEE :

You bet!

Amedee, ASE Master Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector