Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Honda Factory Trained Technician with 13 years of experience

2007 Odyssey. Today the check engine light came on. Codes

2007 Odyssey. Today the check engine light came on. Codes U0073 and P1717. First symptom was the "D" transmission light blinking. After restarting, all transmission indicators (P, N, D, etc) were off and the stability system light and air bag lights were on. After next restart, all looks normal, other than the check engine light remaining on.
For several months we've had intermittant no start. No noises, no turnover, nothing at all - just all of the dash lights come on as normal. Dealer had it for days after tow and could not find a problem - started every time. We determined on our own that if we move the transmission lever somewhat, it will start.
I have a OBD checker, so I can monitor or clear codes if needed.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Josh replied 6 years ago.

Hello, the p1717 code sets when the circuit in the transmission range switch is sensed to be open while the transmission is mechanically shifted into reverse, this can happen a couple ways, either a faulty range switch, improper adjustment of the range switch, a broken wire in the circuit, or a faulty pcm. From your description I would suspect the switch is out of adjustment since you can get it started by moving the shifter, so what's happening it the switch is between positions when you're in gear, so you may be able to turn the switch to better line up with the shifter positions and solve the issue. The range switch is located on the side of the transmission, you should be able to access it through the drivers side wheel well, it'll have 2 bolts holding it to the transmission, if you loosen them you can reorient the switch, what you'll want to do is try reorienting it then checking if the transmission position on the dash switches on the dash when you switch gears, if it seems to be off try again until it's switch position at the same time it's actually switching positions.

If you have any other questions please let me know. If you're happy with the information I've provided please click accept.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your response. What about the U0073 code?
Expert:  Josh replied 6 years ago.

Sorry, I've been away for a while, the U0073 is a loss of communication code, it shouldn't' cause any issues or the check engine light, in order to diagnose it you'll need access to a fully functional scan tool.