HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level

95 Honda Civic EX: starting problems..several tries..finally started

Customer Question

I have a '95 Honda Civic EX with starting problems. On two occasions I turned the key over and nothing happened, no click, nothing. On each occasion after several tries, it finally started. I took it to an independent Honda repair place, they said it was the starter, that the contacts were bad in it. They replaced it, parts and labor, for $238.

Two days ago the same thing happened again.

Accessory facts -- #1. After they replaced the starter I found a screw left in the rain gutter under the windshield wiper blade. It was obviously the size of something from the engine compartment. #2. Today I was searching for the shutoff button for the alarm under the left side of the dash. I noticed a large rectangular electical connector with more than one wire going to it, dangling near the foot rest. I don't know if the mechanic working on the car did that or not. They had to get to the alarm shutoff button because it would start beeping when they disconnected the battery in the process of replacing the starter.

Will you tell me what I should be on the look out for in this situation? I'm scheduled to bring the car back to them to diagnose the starting problem this Saturday morning.

Thanks,

George Ollen
Category: Honda
Expert:  HondaPlatinum replied 3 years ago.
That's the aftermarket alarm brain. Are you still having the same issues?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's been 48 hours since the last starting problem. That means I've driven it and from school for two days without a problem with the starter. But I'm concerned that it will give me a problem again because that was the third time it happened in less than two weeks time.

Do you think the mechanic left the aftermarket alarm brain disconnected because he was tired of it going on while they were working?

Should I be concerned about the leftover screw?

George
No I would not worry about the screw . The aftermarket alarm was the most likely cause of all of this.If you do not use it remove the brain completely and you will have no further issues. Just remove all the connectors and the little black box and then it's disabled . This would be the next step. Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The aftermarket alarm was not giving me a problem at any time. Maybe it was hanging loose for a long time -- I have a distant memory of it being disconnected long ago.

My concern is the starting problem. It failed to start once already since the starter was replaced last Saturday. In your experience, how likely is that? I'd like to know how the mechanics SHOULD respond to this problem so I can be on my guard.
Could be the aftermarket alarm very common that's why I would remove it completely . The other possibility is a failing ignition switch. These are the next steps .Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If you don't mind, I'd like to keep my question active until I take the car in this Saturday.

I'd also like to know now why they would replace the starter instead of the ignition switch. Which one is the least expensive/trouble to do? I can see the possibility of having to argue over the cost of the original repair if it is really the ignition switch instead of the starter.

What would you say to them if you were in my position?

Thanks.
Ask them since you are still having the same problem why did they not check the ignition switch . The ignition switch is about 125 parts and labor. Ask them if they are going to fix it for free.