Noah
Noah, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  master tech, L1, 12 years experience
40698729

Honda Accord: overheating..hot...top radiator hose is hot, bottom is

Customer Question

overheating Honda Accord 1996...have replace thermostat, still running hot...top radiator hose is hot, bottom is still normal temp...any suggestions?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Noah replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Noah :

How is the condition of the coolant? Was it rusty?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, green and looked fairly new
Expert:  Noah replied 4 years ago.
Ok, do you have the VTEC or non VTEC motor?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
non VTEC
Expert:  Noah replied 4 years ago.
Ok, this could be a couple of different things, how does it run other than overheating? Any performance issues or does it run good?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Runs well. Does leak a bit of oil at pan. Had timing belt and water pump replaced at 98K miles. It now has 130K, so I'm hoping it isn't the water pump.
Expert:  Noah replied 4 years ago.
Well I have seen two things on this car other than the thermostat cause a no coolant flow condition. The first (and least common) is a clogged radiator. If the coolant in your car was clean, I highly doubt that it has a clogged radiator. The other more common problem is that the water pump's impeller breaks off of the pump shaft. It is hard to verify that this is the problem for sure without removing it but sometimes, if the impeller has crumbled into peaces, you can pull the bypass hose off of the back of the water pump housing just forward of the motor mount bracket and feel around in there with your finger. You would do this with the engine off of course. If you feel debris in there you know the pump has failed. Sometimes the impeller will just crack. This will allow it to spin on the shaft but feel like it is still intact. I have seen this type of failure several times now on these cars, sorry I don't have better news for you.
Noah, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: master tech, L1, 12 years experience
Expert:  HondaPlatinum replied 4 years ago.
I completely disagree. I have been working on Honda for 20 years and this is not your issue . If your water pump was replaced that's not the issue . First all DX accord come with a non vtec motor any Honda tech knows that . First question is. Did you use a factory thermostat and bleed all the air out of the system. Second does the cooling fan operate? Last these cars are known for failing head gaskets was this checked?Just don't want you to diagnose this vehicle correctly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thermostat from Slant bought at Advance Auto, the better, fail-safe model

Did not bleed the air out. Cooling fan operates when AC is turned on, goes off when AC turned off. I drove the car for 5 minutes and it quickly got hot. Pulled back into my driveway. As soon as the I turned it off, the fan came on.

Ok sorry for the other information you have gotten. First you need to bleed all the air out of the cooling system and recommend using a Honda thermostat only. If you did not add coolant then bleed the system this can be the only issue you have . You need to do that first . Would you like that procedure?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did drain all the coolant from the radiator, but not the block. The drain was not a bolt, so I just left whatever coolant was in the block.
No just the radiator is fine . When you filled the radiator did you have the bleeder valve open at the thermostat housing so all the air came out and once it was just coolant and no air closed the valve and topped off the coolant was it done this way?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, I didn't know or think to do this. Do you think that the first thermostat might have been good and the overheating was caused by air the first time, too?
It's most likely the first thermostat was bad . Then when you replaced it you did not bleed the air out and now have this issue . So what you need to do is bleed all the air out of the cooling system. Put a drain pan under the car by the transmission. Open the bleeder slowly on the thermostat housing and you will here all the air come out . Add coolant until there is no more air coming out of the bleeder and it's just coolant . Close the bleeder . Run the car and see if it still overheats. If not that was the issue. If it does overheat still could be an bad aftermarket thermostat ,clogged radiator or faulty head gasket . To have the head gasket checked it would need to be tested for excessive hydrocarbons out of the radiator neck with the cap off . They sell a kit for this it's a chemical that changes color if exhaust is mixed in with the coolant causing air pockets and the overheating . This is the next steps and proper way to diagnose the car. Hopefully its just air bound. Sorry for the other information you got it's not your water pump. If you feel I have helped you correctly . Post here you want to pay me and want that accept for me Honda Platinum. Our main goal here is correct information and complete customer satisfaction. Also contact customer service and tell them you want the funds transfered to me . I don't want you to have to pay twice when you should of gotten the correct information n the first place . Hoped this helped.'Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated. Greatly appreciated
Also it can be something as simple as a faulty fan switch. These need to be checked next . Best of luck to you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much!!!! This is the advice that I was really paying for!
So you need to post here you paid the wrong expert and also contact customer service so they transfer it to me .So contact customer service and here and let them know. Best of luck and god bless.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Am doing this now. Paid the wrong expert. Needed to pay HondaPlatinum.

Thanks if you have any further issues let us know. We are here to help .