MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Tech
Experience:  26 YEARS of real world experience .
10834442

1993 honda accord LX: down-shift..shifts fine..manually..whats going

my 1993 honda accord LX does not up-shift, or down-shift automaticlly, however, it shifts fine if I shift manually with the shift handle. whats going on? Is this a computer problem? Will I do any harm if I continue to shift manually. Help!
Category: Honda
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
master tech :

Hello welcome to just answer I am master tech and will be able to assist you today.

master tech :

is the d light flashing ? or the check engine light ?

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No to both of your questions, however the drive 2 light is on at all times except when I shift into nuetral. When I select first gear when starting out the drive 2 light and the first gear light are on.

PS will a 1992 Honda Accord EX transmission fit my 1993 LX.

not sure what your refeering to as the drive 2 light ? the "S" light ?

the 93 will fit yes

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am refering to the drive 2 light on the instrument panel on the dashboard between the tach and speedometer. The lights tell the driver what gear the trans is in. from top to bottom they are P, REVERSE, NUETRAL, D2, D1, 2nd gear, 1st gear.
ok one of them is flashing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

None of them are flashing. A correction the the last note, the lights are P, Reverse,

Nuetral, D4, D3, 2nd gear,1st gear. sorry about that.

Ok I had to leave for a dr apt but will be back in about 2 hours.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I believe that the trans is working, sounds and feels the same in manual as it does in drive 4, except I have to shift it. I guess the question is what is causing it to fail to shift in auto (DR4) I believe it has to be a computer or electical problem (solinoid etc.)

ok lets check to see if their is any codes stored in the system

click here for self diag info use a paper clip to jump the terminals

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

To Master Tech,

I am sorry that I could not respond to you last night, but it got too dark to do what you advised. However this morning I removed the 7.5v fuse called backup, and low and behold it cleared the problem. The transmission repair places wanted an average of 2600.00 dollars to overhaul the trans. which was working fine,what a bunch of crooks they are. I am 70 years old and on a fixed income and they have no mercy for anyone.I hope that I am on their jury when they stand before the Lord on their judgement day I don't know who to thank, but who ever you are, God bless you.

thats good news

how ever this problem may return unless it was a hiccup in the system.

if this does return then further diagnoses will be needed.

this could be a electronic transmission computer problem. which i kinda sounds like.

MASTER TECH, Tech
Experience: 26 YEARS of real world experience .