Steve
Steve, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  13+ years with Honda,ase certified over 25 years

2005 Honda: front wheels..slowly..higher speed there is no shudder

I have a 2005 Honda Jazz VTI Auto with CVT. At take off from standstill I experience a shudder coming from the front wheels. If I take off very slowly like rolling to higher speed there is no shudder. What is the problem and how do you solve it?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Steve :

most times this is caused by dirty transmission fluid. Inside the CVT transmission is a "start clutch" When the fluid gets dirty it can shudder on take off. If one fluid change does not help the start clutch may need to be burnished and the fluid changed a couple more times.

Customer:

I have read in other forums about changing the transmission fluid which had not really solve the problem. Your suggestion about changing it a couple more times and performing work on the clutch seems a rather costly affair. Is this an inherent fault of CVT drives?

Steve :

happens more often when not changing the fluid on a regular basis.

Steve :

When is the last time the fluid was changed in yours?

Customer:

The car has just done 70,000 kms and I have not the fluid since new.

Customer:

I meant change the fluid

Steve :

that could be the reason why you are getting a shudder. Here in the states where I work we suggest changing it every 24000km.

Customer:

In normal auto-transmission we normally change the fluid at higher intervals. Does CVT drive require regular closer intervals for fluid change?

Steve :

Yes it does. The way the transmission operates it can break down the fluid faster.

Customer:

OK. Can they flush and change? What if occurs again? Have you personally tried this with success?

Steve :

yes I have some a lot of good success with this. I can post the burnishing procedure for you. It will be for a USA Civic but still applies to the Jazz. You will need to use Honda CVT fluid when you do it.

Customer:

Yes please, thanks.

Steve :

Raise the vehicle on a lift until the wheels are off
the ground.
Start the engine, shift to D, and accelerate to 40
mph.
. Release the accelerator pedal, and lightly apply the
brakes until the wheels stop. Lower the vehicle.
Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0), then check the
CVT fluid level within 90 seconds; it should be
between the upper and lower HOT marks. Add fluid
if needed.
Set the parking brake, and block the front wheels.
. Start the engine, and shift to D. Make sure the A/C
is off.
. With the brake pedal held firmly, press the
accelerator pedal to the floor, and release it after 3
seconds. Do not move the shift lever during this
step.
Shift to N, and release the brake pedal. Increase
the engine speed to 3,000 rpm, and hold it for 15
seconds. This allows the start clutch to cool.
. Repeat steps 8 and 9 with the shift lever in D, then
repeat with the shift lever in R.?

Steve :

You need to change the fluid before doing the above and then afterward again.

Steve, Honda Mechanic
Experience: 13+ years with Honda,ase certified over 25 years