HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

2001 Honda Civic EX: a buzzing sound when in park..few seconds

My 2001 Honda Civic EX (54K miles) is suddenly making a buzzing sound when in park. It buzzes first for a few seconds...then sometimes goes click, click, click. It doesn't happen all the time, though.The buzz sounds like an electrical noise to me, and it's coming from the area behind the steering wheel (in front of control panel / top of steering column - exactly where you have the removable cover). Do you have any idea what it could be? It suddenly had some vibration on idle on Friday, and the guy at the auto parts store told me that it could be bad fuel. So, I put some ISO Heet in the tank (it was a little over a half tank full), and then I filled up the rest with new gas. After that, I revved it for a while. This morning, it drove ok...but it has this new problem. It also has a newly installed alternator with a separate buzzing noise, but that's going to be replaced tomorrow. What do you think? Thanks!
Category: Honda
Expert:  HondaPlatinum replied 4 years ago.
Is the engine light on?Is the buzzing with the car running or off?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX already cancelled this transaction and requested a refund. A wait time of over 12 hours is a bit much for me. I will see my mechanic in the morning. Thanks, anyway.
No problem I just got on and can tell you what the most common issue is so be does not diagnose the wrong issue and charge you a fortune. It's up to you been working on Honda almost 20'years . Let me know would be glad to help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok...will give it a try. There is no engine light on, and all of this is happening while the car is on. But when I started it again (after a few hours of being parked), it didn't make the buzzing noise at all. However....it now made a really loud screeching type of noise....rhythmic....like a belt. It only makes that noise when I restart it after a while of being stopped, and as soon as I drive it a few feet, it stops. What do you think? Are the two noises related?
Ok the most common issue is a faulty alternator . This will cause the buzzing noise and the screeching noise from the bearing in the alternator starting to seize. Is the battery light ever on or brake light on the dash?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, there are no lights on. But as I mentioned in my original question, they are replacing a brand new alternator that turned out to be defective. It's been making a buzzing noise of its own for the past week, and my mechanic told me that he didn't know what it was. Then I took it somewhere else, and they told me that the new alternator was defective. So....all of the noises have to do with the faulty alternator? If so, all of my problems will be resolved tomorrow.
Yes it should but here's what can be causing this entire issue . They need to check the ELD in the under hood fuse box . It's the electronic load detector and will cause this issue . Here's the bulletin even though there is no check engine light they need to check this .
ClickHere

Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX let him know. But I was just thinking about the new battery that was installed right after the new alternator (the bad old alternator killed my old battery!). Do you think that in the past 8 days that it's been installed it could have harmed my brand new battery in any way?? Also, is it about to break down on me at any minute, or can I drive it around despite the noise(s)? I had a few things to do tomorrow morning before taking it in to the shop. Thank you.
You should be ok and the battery should be fine and will recharge with the new alternator . As long as there not long trips you should be fine but would bring it in asap after that. Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, will do. Thank you. Last of all...how much should he charge me for the ELD repair (if that is what he says it is)?

No more then 75 to 100 dollars parts and labor. Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience: 13 year honda platinum level