George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years

How to replace a starer in a 2004 honda crv 2.4 engine I-v

Customer Question

How to replace a starer in a 2004 honda crv 2.4 engine I-vtec
Category: Honda
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your quesiton,

Click here for procedure

Look this over and let me know if you have further questions about this

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What do I need to take out to get access to the starer I need yo do it from the top or from the bottom is very hard to get access from the bottom? Any clue ? Please ?
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

I do this from the top and use a long extension through and behind the manifold

I have a wobbly extension so the rear bolt is a little easier to get with that. You can do almost the same thing if you stack several short extensions together

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Whaooo you are genious how you that?? I can't even see the starer from the top???? Hehehe
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

Have you removed the plastic engine cover?

Look along the valve cover to the passenger side where the transmission and engine meet. The starter is just above the centerline of the engine.

Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

Maybe a picture will help

This requires 1.9 hours to replace so it is not easy

graphic

Edited by George H on 8/11/2010 at 12:57 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
But in that picture the manifold is out right ??? Do I need to take it out????
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

The manifold is out to take the picture.

You can remove it and make your life easier, follow the procedure below.

Click here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you so much george you are the best , im goint to try with out taking the manifold out but in case i cant thank for the procedure ok, how much i can save if i do it myself? i will accept your answer now thank you so much keep in touch ok. gbu
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

If you do it your self it will save about $200. I'm sure you will have no problem just go ahead and remove the manifold then change the starter. It is much easier for you that way.

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech 15+ years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
do i have to replace the gsaket ? or i cant put the same one
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

NO the gasket is an O ring type so it does not have to be replaced it fits in grooves in the manifold so it will stay in place.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

one more question they charge me just the tip or they charge extra ?

Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

I show you accepted the answer for $10 and paid a bonus of $20

Thank you very much and please let me know if you have further questions

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thank you

Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

Glad to help and thank you for using JA!! again

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hi george thank God i did it brother, i installed the starer everything came out perfect ,car starter with out any problem but now for some reason the hood wont close? any clue ? i just took out the 3 NUT from that piace and now the hood wont close ?
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

Look for the witness marks from where the cross member was before and hold it in exactly that place as you tighten the nuts. This should get the hood latch back where it was and the hood should close normally again.

Let me know if this works for you

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Heyy George how are you, I need to know how to change a starer an a Lexus rx300 1999 please , help please
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

Sure see below

This is really straight forward, remove the airbox, battery cable and starter

Click here

Let me know if you have further questions

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Any recommendations in this type of car, when I disconnect the computer nothing will néed to reset, any help any tip is welcome I never work in a Lexus before ???
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

You should be OK with disconnecting the battery to replace the starter just don't let it sit for weeks.

I like to use a "settings saver" that has a 9V battery in it to attach to the cables and then I wrap them in rags to insulate them from the body of the car. This maintains all the security and radio settings without worry about welding when I remove the cable from the starter or when I do an alternator. You still have to be careful with the removed cable ends and insulate those but it is much less risk.

A saver is about $5 at most autoparts stores and can save a lot of headaches.