thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience
14931499

Honda civic: push..gas pedal the car responds very slowly no power

Customer Question

i have a 01 honda civic when you push on gas pedal the car responds very slowly no power
Category: Honda
Expert:  thebesthonda replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with this.

Did this begin all of the sudden or after a repair? Is the check engine light on also?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the car was towed into me and had a spark plug blown out the cylinder head i installed new threads and spark plug at that time there was only misfire codes i cleared those and have been driving car to get a code to set so far no codes
Have you checked the fuel pressure?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i havent checked pressure because i dont have the correct adaptor i try to find one and check it. Can that cause low vacuum?

Yes, if the engine was bogging down some it could. The reason I mentioned the fuel pressure is I have had several of these in the shop recently with bad fuel pumps. I would connect a gauge and take it for a drive. The pressure should stay around 40-47 psi.

Another item is the cmp sensor. This is located behind the top timing cover and you can see the wire that connects to it going through the cover. I had one of these in the shop today...ran horrible, towed in, no codes.....cmp sensor fixed it.

If you have any more questions or need any diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask If this answer helped you, please click ACCEPT.

If you have a deposit but do not click ACCEPT you will STILL be charged, but I don't get credit. Not clicking ACCEPT hurts the Techs that help you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
fuel pressure is stayn at 45psi
Disconnect the cmp sensor I mentioned above and see if it runs different...it won't run good unplugged and will throw a code...but see if ti changes it. That's what I did on the one that was in the shop yesterday...replaced it....runs great.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i unpluged it and it will barely run should i change it i can get one for 60 bucks
It fixed the one at my shop that had the same symptoms. These usually throw a trouble code, but the one in my shop didn't and was still bad. Its worth a try.
Any luck?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry i put car on back burner the cam sensor seemed to help a little but still car is sluggish poor accell no codes still. i let the customer pic it up today and told him to drive it in hopes of a code setting he called back 20 min later saying its idling low and the oil light is on at idle but when gives it gas the light goes out. I told him that the low idle is causing the oil ligth to come on because of low rpm but still want a code to set
I understand. How many miles are on this car?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
about 130k
Have you checked the timing belt to see if it jumped time?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes looked good

Ok, I'm going to contact another expert for an opinion.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks what i dont understand is why the vacuum is good when you first start the car then after a while of running the vacuum goes down to about 5inches
That's why I was thinking the timing belt may have jumped. I notified a friend of mine and wanted him to look over this post. He is offline right now but should look at it soon. Hopefully he will have some input or see something I may have missed.
Yes, that's why I was thinking timing. I notified a friend of mine to look at this post to see if I over looked something. He is offline right now, but should be on shortly.
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 4 years ago.
Hi chuck I had a car about 2 weeks ago with the same thing and the cam timing was off. The customer said it was on and he checked but the low vacuum was a dead give away or their is a major mechanical problem.
I would double check the cam timing marks I know its redundant but we need to be 100% sure. The customer I had him do the same and took the covers off and sure enough cam timing off 2 teeth and the belt was tight.
Chuck post the cam timing marks for him ok.
Dino

Sounds good Dino. I have the timing marks posted below. Please verify this for us.

graphicgraphic