Honda Team Leader
Honda Team Leader, Honda & ASE Master Certified Tech.
Experience:  15 Year experienced Honda & ASE Master Certified Technician. Michelin PAX Tire Certified.
11307422

2004 Honda Accord glove box lock will not release catch&quo

Customer Question

2004 Honda Accord glove box lock will not release "catch" in middle of box. Have removed both underside screws ....... no help. Should I saw off the catch in middle? Can I buy replacement to install if I do that?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda Team Leader replied 6 years ago.
Hi there!
Thanks for using Just Answer. Are sure the box is not locked?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, very sure box not locked. tried both the horiz and vert position with the lock. BUT lock may not work. However, the real issue is that the center latch point is part that will not release. I can get some "play" on either end (lock end & opposite) but middle is stuck in the latch.

Ok, let me see if I can look something up for you. I'll be right back.

The problem still more than likely resides with the lock. It is what prevents the latch fom operating. Follow these steps to remove the lock assy. so you can get a look at the latch.

graphic

NOTE: Take care not to scratch the glove box.

1. Pull out the glove box knob (A) and use a hooked-shaped tool to pull the top end of the retainer (B) out of its slot (C).

NOTE: Do not remove the retainer entirely. Leave the other side of it in the original position when removing and installing the lock cylinder.

graphic

Remove the glove box lock cylinder (A).

graphic

• Reinstall the top of the retainer (A) in its original position, then reinstall the lock cylinder (B).

Push the cylinder into place securely until the retainer snaps into place.

•  

Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I did remove cylinder and it did not help. Unit still stuck at fastener. Took to dealer. Dealer write up is as follows: "Found glove box release rod has fallen off. Reinstalled glove box and verified fix". However, to get access to the release rod the front face/skin had to be seperated from the box unit and apparently cannot be reglued back to original condition. I think I'm in line to get a new glove box unit for cost of around $150.00.

So, how do we leave this matter? You did spend time doing research, sending msges with attachments, and suggestions. However, the ultimate fix was something not mentioned by you. I'm new to this service, maybe you are not.

No problem. Since I did not answer your question, I will request you receive a refund for your deposit. Thanks again and please remember us in the future!