Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

how do you remove a heater core in a 1992 Honda Accord XL

how do you remove a heater core in a 1992 Honda Accord XL?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

hi

please print this so you can get it to your brother

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Honda Accord/Prelude 1984-1995

Heater Core

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1 and 2

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 1: The heater core is secured to the unit by clamps

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 2: After the clamps are removed, the core can be extracted from the unit

1984-85 Accord and 1984-87 Prelude

See Figures 3 and 4

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Drain the coolant from the radiator.
  3. From under the dash, remove the heater pipe cover and clamp.
  4. Remove the heater core retaining plate.
  5. Place a drip pan under the heater pipe connections.

FIG : Fig. 3: Heater assembly used on 1984-85 Accords. Note the heater valve is located on the side of the assembly

image

1. Pull out the cotter pin of the joint hose clamp and separate the heater pipes. Some coolant will run out, be sure to have the drip pan in place.

FIG : Fig. 4: Heater assembly found on 1984-87 Preludes

image

1. Pull the heater core from the heater housing.

To install:

1. Slide the heater core into the housing.
  2. Connect the heater pipes. Use new clamps if necessary.
  3. Install the heater core retaining plate. Tighten the screws until snug.
  4. Install the heater pipe cover and clamp.
  5. Fill the cooling system.
  6. Start the engine. Turn the heater on and check for leaks.

1986-89 Accord

See Figures 5 and 6

2. Drain coolant from the radiator. Put a drain pan underneath the hose connections at the firewall. Note the hose locations, then disconnect the two hoses.
  3. Disconnect the heater valve cable from the valve. Remove the two lower heater mounting nuts.

FIG : Fig. 5: Heater mounting on models with pushbutton controls

image

On push button type heaters, disconnect the cool vent cable at the heater. On lever type heaters, disconnect the function cable and the air mix cable from the heater.

FIG : Fig. 6: Heater mounting on models with lever controls

image

1. Remove the dashboard.
  2. Remove the heater ducts.
  3. On pushbutton type heaters, disconnect the air mix cable from the heater and the wiring harness from the connector.
  4. Remove the bolts, then pull the heater assembly away from its mounts.
  5. Remove the screws securing the heater core, then slide the core out of the heater assembly.

To install:

1. Install the heater core into the heater assembly. Tighten the screws securing the heater core until snug.
  2. Position the heater assembly on its mounts, then tighten the retaining bolts.
  3. On pushbutton type heaters, connect the air mix cable and engage the wiring harness connector.
  4. Install the heater ducts.
  5. Install the dashboard.
  6. On push button type heaters, connect the cool vent cable at the heater. On lever type heaters, connect the function cable and the air mix cable to the heater.
  7. Install the two lower heater mounting nuts.
  8. Connect the heater valve cable to the valve. Connect the hoses to the heater core; use new clamps as necessary.
  9. Refill the cooling system. Start the engine and check for leaks.

1990-93 Accord

See Figure 7

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. If so equipped, disable the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS).
  2. Drain the engine coolant.
  3. Label and disconnect the heater hoses at the firewall. Be prepared to contain spilled coolant from the hoses and fittings.
  4. Disconnect the heater valve control cable from the valve.
  5. Remove the dashboard.

FIG : Fig. 7: Heater assembly used on 1990-93 Accords

image

1. Remove the dashboard support pipe.
  2. Remove the 4 mounting bolts, then remove the heater assembly.
  3. Remove the heater core cover and the clamp securing the heater core.
  4. Remove the core from the heater assembly.

To install:

1. Slide the core into the heater assembly.
  2. Install the heater core clamp and cover.
  3. Position the heater assembly in the vehicle and secure it with the mounting bolts.
  4. Install the dashboard support pipe.
  5. Install the dashboard.
  6. Connect the heater control valve cable to the valve.
  7. Connect the heater hoses at the firewall.
  8. Refill the engine coolant.
  9. If applicable, enable the SRS.
  10. Connect the negative battery cable. Start the engine and check for leaks.

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My Brother is a Machanic and has been for many many years and he say this has bafled him ? He has done everything till he got to the box of a thing and he just can't get it open ? I copied this page for him and I hope that it helps him when he see the image? Is their anymore advise that you could give to to me so that I can pass it along to him?

hi

this is all the pictures i have for this..he will get it when he has seen the pictures..the box just unscrews

thanks

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic