MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Tech
Experience:  26 YEARS of real world experience .
10834442

2000 Honda Accord: 3.0 V6..surges..sits..between 1100 to 1800 rpms

I have a 2000 Honda Accord 3.0 V6 that surges shortly after it is started and sits at idle. the surge range is between 1100 to 1800 rpms. The car recently underwent a head job due to a blown head gasket on the rear cylinder bank. The two interior center head bolts were left out of the engine at the factory. I am surprised it took ten-years for the head to lift?

Activities at this point include a complete audit of all of the vacuum lines and connections, and the replacement of the MAP Sensor. Great pains has been taken to insure that there are no air pockets in the cooling system! The car runs great under power, but surges at idle!

I disconnected the throttle sensor and the idle rose to 2000 rpms and stayed steady. I realise this is not a solution! Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go from here?
Category: Honda
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 4 years ago.

hello welcome to the site

can you tell me if the 2 bypass hoses to the IACV are hot or cold

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your quick response! The IACV is located under the throttle bodY? CORRECT! When I started the car the IACV heated up pretty quickly. When I disconnected the Throttle sensor earlier and it went to a fast idle, I noticed an audible vacuum type hiss from that vicinity! Thanks again for your quick response!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The bypass hoses are water lines or are the vacuum lines?
Yes this will Happen if you unplug the tls sensor.
Their is no need to do that
The iacv is under the throttle body yes.
If both hoses are hot then you have a failed iacv.
You will need to replace this
After the head was repaired did the valves get adjusted correctly ?
The hoses are coolant hoses. This is a thermal valve
MASTER TECH, Tech
Experience: 26 YEARS of real world experience .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the feedback! How does one go about adjusting the IACV valve?

Thanks for the feedback. Your response opened up new suggestions regarding the source of the problem!
Thanks again for the prompt feedback!
The incise not adjustable it's a fixed valve so replacing is all one can do.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks!