HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

2002 honda: makes a clicking..speedometer reaches 50 mph..mechanics

Customer Question

My 2002 Honda CRV makes a clicking/ticking noise when the speedometer reaches 50 mph. I have tried three separate mechanics but they could not determine the reason for the noise. Can you help?
Category: Honda
Expert:  HondaPlatinum replied 4 years ago.
The problem is the gage cluster itself we have changed numerous clusters for this and other issues. Was this replaced yet?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, nothing has been replaced. No one could find where the clicking/ticking was coming from. What do you estimate the cost would be to correct this problem.
If it's a new cluster 800 for the part and an hours labor. You can get a used cluster for about 150 plus an hours labor.

Hoped this helped.

Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I took my car to the repair shop and they replaced the gage cluster. It cost me a lot of money, and I still have the clicking/ticking driving me crazy
Is the clicking inside outside ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The clicking is inside and seems to be coming from the dash area. It is almost like a leaf is caught somewhere and as the car accelerates the ticking begins at about 45 mph. The repair shop removed the old gage cluster and replaced it, but it still was making that annoying sound. I took it back and they removed the new one and credited me and returned the original cluster back to the car. I had to pay for the labor for the installation and removal of the unit. They checked everything they can think of and blew it out in case there was something stuck that would cause the noise. Still have it!
OK if you drive with the cluster removed does it still make the noise?Its definately the drivers side inside the vehicle not outside like a windshield molding from the wind?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The auto shop removed the cluster and it continued to make the sound. I don't know if it can be heard outside of the car as you have to accelerate to 45 mph to get to it. It seems to be in the dash somewhere in the middle between the driver and passenger side, however, it can be heard from both sides.
Was this vehicle ever in an accident ?