lorunner
lorunner, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  13yrs honda tech, 18yrs in the business, ASE certified, honda school and training

Honda: front wheel hub (that has wheel studs- one stripped)..stud

Customer Question

how do I remove front wheel hub (that has wheel studs- one stripped) on a honda odyssey 2000. I need to replace the stud.

edit: will a simple "pulley/gear puller" work to pull the hub off?
Category: Honda
Expert:  lorunner replied 4 years ago.
  1. Raise the front of the vehicle, and support it with safety stands in the proper locations.

1. Remove the wheel nuts (A) and front wheel (B).

2. Raise the locking tab on the spindle nut (C), then remove the nut.

1. Remove the brake hose mounting bolt (A).

2. Remove the caliper mounting bolts (B), and hang the caliper assembly (C) to one side. To prevent damage to the caliper assembly or brake hose, use a short piece of wire to hang the caliper from the undercarriage.

Remove the wheel sensor (A) from the knuckle (B). Do not disconnect the wheel sensor connector.

• Remove the 6 mm brake disc retaining screws (A).

• Screw two 8 x 1.25 mm bolts (B) into the disc to push it away from the hub. Turn each bolt two turns at a time to prevent cocking the disc excessively.

• Remove the brake disc from the knuckle.

• Check the front hub for damage and cracks

•  

1. Remove the cotter pin (A) from the tie-rod end ball joint, then loosen the nut (B).

2. Remove the tie-rod ball joint from the knuckle using the special tool.

1. Remove the lock pin (A) from the lower arm ball joint castle nut (B), and remove the nut.

2. Remove the lower ball joint from the knuckle using the special tool.

1. Remove the damper pinch bolts (A) and flange nuts (B) from the damper.

2. Pull the knuckle outward, and remove the driveshaft outboard joint (C) from the knuckle (D) by tapping the driveshaft end (E) with a plastic hammer, then remove the knuckle.

Separate the hub (A) from the knuckle (B) using the special tool and a hydraulic press. Be careful not to distort the splash guard. Hold onto the hub to keep it from falling when pressed clear.

Remove the snap ring (A) and the splash guard (B) from the knuckle (C).

Press the wheel bearing (A) out of the knuckle (B) using the special tools and a press.

1. Press the wheel bearing inner race (A) from the hub (B) using the special tool, a commercially available bearing separator (C), and a press.

2. Wash the knuckle and hub thoroughly in high flash point solvent before reassembly.

Press a new wheel bearing (A) into the knuckle (B) using the old bearing (C), a steel plate (D), the special tool, and a press. Place the wheel bearing on the knuckle with the pack seal side facing (metal color) toward the inside. Be careful not to damage the sleeve of the pack seal.

And install in the reverse order.

You have to remove the hub to replace the stud. Once the hub is out you can replace the bad studs. You will also need a new wheel bearing since the old one will be damaged from separation once removed.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    i can not view any of the images..all open to an empty window
    Expert:  lorunner replied 4 years ago.

3. graphic

Remove the brake hose mounting bolt (A).

1. Remove the caliper mounting bolts (B), and hang the caliper assembly (C) to one side. To prevent damage to the caliper assembly or brake hose, use a short piece of wire to hang the caliper from the undercarriage.

graphic

graphic

Remove the 6 mm brake disc retaining screws (A).

graphic

Remove the cotter pin (A) from the tie-rod end ball joint, then loosen the nut (B).

1. Remove the tie-rod ball joint from the knuckle using the special tool.

graphic

Remove the lock pin (A) from the lower arm ball joint castle nut (B), and remove the nut.

1. Remove the lower ball joint from the knuckle using the special tool.

graphic

Remove the damper pinch bolts (A) and flange nuts (B) from the damper.

1. Pull the knuckle outward, and remove the driveshaft outboard joint (C) from the knuckle (D) by tapping the driveshaft end (E) with a plastic hammer, then remove the knuckle.

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

Press the wheel bearing inner race (A) from the hub (B) using the special tool, a commercially available bearing separator (C), and a press.

1. Wash the knuckle and hub thoroughly in high flash point solvent before reassembly.

graphic

graphic

And install in the reverse order.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    I am unable to view the pictures that are attached. Whenever I click on the picture, a blank window opens.
    So I can not accept your advice because I can not fully follow it to do the work.
    Expert:  lorunner replied 4 years ago.
    There is a second post with all new pictures. I clicked on every one of them and they all load.