MASTER TECH, Honda Service Technician
Experience:  28 years of Honda training and a master Honda tech

2007 Honda Civic Hybrid: cylinder..what mileage..timing belt replaced

I own a 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid, Engine: 01.7 / 4 cylinder, vehicle has 71,332 miles. At what mileage should I have the timing belt replaced, now? Or, what is the longest mileage that I can wait without having the possibility of my wife being stranded by the timing belt breaking? I live in Boston, MA., we get about 6 months of pretty cold weather, I don't know if this factors into -at what mileage the timing belt should be replaced?

Should I have the water pump and/or anything else replaced at the same time that the timing belt is replaced?

I have all my maintenance work done at a Honda dealership, and am very good at keeping up with maintenance. We have had no issues with this car other than having to replace the battery at about 50K miles. Any other suggestions?

hello welcome to the site

your car DOES not have a timing belt.

this is a chain driven motor.

the dealership is trying to take you for a ride

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Let's assume that the dealer stated that the "timing belt" needed to be replaced, but indeed it is actually a "timing chain", at what mileage should this timing chain be replaced?

Honda does not have a set schedule to replace this.

at the 110k service as this will get a valve adjustment and the chain tension can be checked.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can these timing chains actually break, before the vehicle gets to the 110,000 mileage mark? Would I be risking any vehicle damage by waiting until 110,000 miles to get this work done (valve adjustment and having the chain tension checked?)

they don't break they do stretch over time.

the main cause for these wearing out fast is the lack of oil service and the engine level getting low.

just make sure to check the oil level at gas fill ups.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Therefore, in short, even considering my cold Boston, Massachusetts weather, I shouldn't worry about the timing chain until the 110,000 mile service, as long as I keep changing the oil whenever the dashboard indicator tells me I am ready for service, and I should not worry about my wife being stranded by the vehicle before the 110,000 miles, due to any timing belt issues, is this accurate?

yes this is correct.

just make sure to check the oil on every fill up.

all this regular maintenance info is in your owners manual.