Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Honda Factory Trained Technician with 13 years of experience

Honda: AWD..it to a front wheel drive (My driveshaft broke)..junk yard

Customer Question

I have a 1997 AWD Honda CRV that needs a new shift cable and we want to convert it to a front wheel drive (My driveshaft broke). We have located a shift cable from a 2 door 2000 CRVat our local junk yard. Will that cable work? Can you give me instruction on how to convert to front wheel drive? I really don't want to put the car down, but cannot afford to purchase all new parts, as the car has 240,000 miles and I've been unemployed.

Can you help me?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Josh replied 4 years ago.

Hello, the shift cable should work, and to convert it to FWD all you need to do is remove the rear driveshaft. These are basically front wheel drive all the time, with the rear only engaging when the front wheels spin faster than the rear, that is done through a viscous coupler in the rear end. If you take the driveshaft out it won't know the difference.

If you have any other questions please let me know. If you're happy with the information I've provided please click accept.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Does it make a difference if the shift cable is from an AWD or FWD? I believe the one we are looking at is a FWD. Is there somewhere we can find step by step instructions on removing the drive shaft so that we don't screw up?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Josh replied 4 years ago.

The transmission is essentially the same for both fwd and awd, it just has the take-off for the rear driveshaft in the awd.

For removal of the driveshaft, there are 4 bolts on each end to remove, and 2 bolts on the center support bearing, it's pretty simple once you get under there and look at it, there's really nothing for you to screw up.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My uncle is working on the car and looking at the cable, he thinks the used one we pulled from the 2000 FWD is 1/4" longer than the one from my 2007 AWD cable, could this be? If so, can we still use it? Can you send me any easy instructions on installing the cable? Thanks!
Expert:  Josh replied 4 years ago.

As long as the cable will reach it'll be fine. Now, I'm not sure I can send you easy instructions, but here are the instructions from the service manual.

1. Remove the instrument panel lower cover and the column covers.

1. Shift to N position, then remove the lock pin from the cable adjuster.
  2. Loosen the locknut, then remove the shift cable from the shift cable bracket.

1. Remove the nut securing the shift cable holder, then remove the shift cable.

1. Remove the shift cable cover.
  2. Remove the snap pin and control pin, then separate the shift cable from the control lever.

1. Remove the nuts securing the shift cable holder, then remove the shift cable.
  2. Install the shift cable in the reverse order of the removal. NOTE:
    • Do not bent the shift cable excessively when installing it.
    • Make sure the lock pin is seated securely in the cable adjuster.
    • Replace the lock pin if it does not snap over the cable adjuster securely.
  1. Check the cable adjustment after installing it.

Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Honda Factory Trained Technician with 13 years of experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Josh! I may be back with more questions. This should do it though.

Kerry
Expert:  Josh replied 4 years ago.

You're welcome, good luck!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Josh,

If we have more questions once we get into the "operation" can we contact you again?

Kerry
Expert:  Josh replied 4 years ago.
of course
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the new shift cable came with a lever arm permanently attached to the transmission end cable stud where the original cable is removed by pulling a spring pin then a clevis pin - the lever arm remaining on the transmission. the original cable retracts 9/16" more into the cable housing allowing full throw on the transmission shift lever where it appears the new cable will not throw the transmission fully into dr4 let alone any lower gears. I suspect we were sold a shift cable from another model honda than a CRV.
Expert:  Josh replied 4 years ago.
More than likely that's what happened, the 97-2000 should interchange, this happens pretty frequently when dealing with used parts, either the part is mislabeled or their book will say that the part they sell you should interchange, when in fact it doesn't.