HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

Accord: it only cranks and the green key light in the dash flashes

Customer Question

When trying to start my accord 98 it only cranks and the green key light in the dash flashes
Category: Honda
Expert:  HondaPlatinum replied 4 years ago.
Ok is the key damaged?Is it a factory original key?Was the battery replaced recently?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No the key is not damaged. yes it is a factory original key. i had to loosen the battery clamps because it had starting problems and i found out that it was the ignition switch. After changing the ignition switch i found out that the main fuse was blown. after changing the main fuse I couldn't start the car no more. It only cranks and the green key light in the dash is flashing.
OK try disconnecting the battery leave the key in the ignition in the on position so radio works etc.Then reconnect the battery.If it was the ignition cylinder that was changed the key needs to be programmed to the computer.If it was the electrical part of the switch there is no need to program the key let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is doing the same. Only cranking and the green keylight in the dash is flashing
OK was the switch or the cylinder replaced?Most likely the transponder ring is shorted out that reads the key.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The switch was replaced
Ok then the problem is the transponder ring around the switch has failed or shorted out when the main fuse blew which reads the chip in the key. You can try disconnecting the battery key out for 5 minutes and reconnect the battery and if there is still an issue and the battery is fully charged there's an issue with the transponder ring and that needs to be checked next . Hoped this helped.

Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is doing the same . Do i have to change the transponder ring? do you have a picture so i can see what is a transponder ring?

It's located around the actual ignition cylinder a dealer only item. They will also provide installation instructions if you ask. This is where I would start as long as all the fuses are
good and battery is strong. This is the next step.

HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience: 13 year honda platinum level
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will have all the fuses checked tomorrow and also chek if there is someone who can find out if the transpoder ring is faulty.
Ok keep me posted.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The problem is solved. I discovered that the top connector on the transponder ring wasn't making good connection. I had to push it in

Excellent glad its fixed.