HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level

2005 Honda: sliding door..you use the manual door handle..under power

I have a 2005 Honda Odyssey. The passenger side power sliding door will no longer open or close using the remote or dash switch. If you use the manual door handle to "get it started", it will continue closing or opening by itself under power. However using one of the remote methods, the door just lurches slightly, then stops and beeps 3 times.
I compared the operation of the passenger door to the drivers side door. On the properly functioning drivers side door, when you press the remote you can hear a small motor activate and an interlock releases on the roller arm allowing the door to move. On the malfunctioning passenger side, the sound of the motor is not heard and the interlock stays in place, so the door just hits against the interlock and does not move, then beeps 3 times to indicate something is jamming the door. Using the handle pulls the interlock cable, allowing the door to continue on its own. Any suggestions on what to look at?
Category: Honda
Expert:  HondaPlatinum replied 4 years ago.
Is the door feel like a roller is broXXXXX XXXXXke it's binding?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, not really. Sometimes the rubber gasket slips off and binds against the roller arm which will cause the door to stop while it is opening or closing, but that is a different problem. That one is an easy fix to just pop the gasket back on. With this problem, the door only moves a fraction of an inch before hitting against the interlock. Once its a little bit past the full open or full closed position, it will open or close the rest of the way by itself. If I crawl under the door, I can see the interlock move on the property functioning door, but it does not move on the malfunctioning door. I could probably take a photo to show what I am talking about. Is there any way to upload them here?

Yes just use the tree icon here to upload any pictures.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The images are looking up at the bottom of the roller arm from the ground when the door is fully opened. The first one shows the position of the interlock (circled in red) after the door is opened. The second one I pushed the interlock with my finger to allow the door to move. On the functioning door, I hear a small motor noise inside the door as this interlock moves when you press the door close button. On the malfunctioning door, it doesn't make that noise and the interlock doesn't do anything, so the door is never released. As soon as the door tries to move, it hits against the interlock and starts beeping. Pulling the door handle does move the interlock, and once the door starts moving, you can let the handle go and it will continue.

It seems like there is probably a bad connection or a bad actuator motor for the interlock. I assume I will probably have to remove the door panel to get to it. Does this require removing the door in order to get the panel off? It looks hard to get at.

graphic

graphic

Ok the interlock gets it's signal from the door latch to operate properly . You would need to remove the panel which is not hard just the handle , Phillips screw and the moldings and it pops off . Then you can see if there are any damaged wires to the latch or interlock. This would be the next step. I can post better diagrams tomorrow if it's needed but this is the next step . Hoped this helped.

Positive feedback and Bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok. Its gotten too dark to look at it tonight. I will take a look in the morning and see if I can get the panel off. If you can get diagrams, that would be great.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Does the require removing the entire door panel? It looks like there is a seperate section near the inside handle, but I don't see any obvious way to remove the handle itself or to get the panel loose. Whats the secret to getting it apart?
OK let me post a diagram now to help you.
Heres the diagram.The handle comes of you need to remove the gold clip with a pic then the handle pops off like a manual window crank same type of clip.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, I finally got the handle and door panel off. Of course I shot the clip for the handle across the driveway in the process, but luckily I saw where it went.

I found the actuator motor and tested voltage at the connector (in red). It does get a brief 12 volts when I press the door close button, so I am assuming its not an electrical problem now. But despite that, the actuator arm (in green) barely moves at all. Not enough to contact the roller and move the interlock.

I pulled the actuator and tested with it out of the vehicle - same thing. It clicks and sometimes grinds a little, but the arm doesn't move significantly.

I'm thinking that's our culprit.

It appears this is a sealed unit, so I can't get inside to see if I can tell exactly what happened. I guess I'll need a new one either way.

If you can get me a part number for the actuator (second photo), I'll call this one solved.

Thanks!

graphic

graphic

Ok give me a minute to post the diagram and part number sounds like the issue.
Ok here you go its number 17.

017ACTUATOR ASSY., R...72623-SHJ-A21 $41.07 001

Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience: 13 year honda platinum level