1smartcarguy
1smartcarguy, Honda Technician
Experience:  assoc. degree in auto technology.
32196277

2004 honda: CRV...the remote key fob has stopped working..alarm sounds

I have a 2004 honda CRV. the remote key fob has stopped working and if I use the key to open the door the alarm sounds. I can start the car and drive it but the alarm keeps going off
Category: Honda
Expert:  1smartcarguy replied 4 years ago.

Hi, thank you for using justanswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX i will help assist you today.

When you push on the key fob does a little red light blink?

Is this the key you have always been using?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no it was a spare we had with the car. just started using it as wife lost otherone. I changed the battery in the fob and the read light works when the buttons are pressed.

Is your key and the fob 2 separate pieces. Or is the fob attached to the key.

Also did you say the key or the fob was a spare.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the key and fob are separate items and the fob is the spare and the key is the orginal.

Do you have another key.

If so try to use that and see if the alarm stops working.

If this seems to work, disconnect the battery for 10 minutes then try to reuse the key that is setting off the alarm. Remember you need a radio code to turn the radio back.

Be sure not to push the fob buttons after you disconnect the battery before you try to use the key.

Let me know how you make it out

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have disconected the battery and let the system drain for 30min. As soon as i reconnected the battery the arlarm started to sound. I closed the bonnet and let the alarm reset itself for 5 min. I then tried the key to open the door once the door was opened the alarm started to sound again. Could this be problem with the key I thought they only had transponder inthem for the ignition which seem to work car starts no problem.

This issue is odd, typically when the alarm goes off or when there is an issue with the key transponder the vehicle won't start.

You won't be able to program the fob with the alarm going off.

Do you know if your alarm and keyless system are factory items or were the accessory add ons from the dealership?

Is there a little red LED light on top of your steering column?

Also be sure all doors and tailgate and hood are completely closed.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

As far as I know the alarm is factory fitted. There is a red LED in the dash.

Ok, the alarm is factory then.

The only other thing i can think of. Is when you get in the vehicle turn the key to start position and cycle the door locks a few times.

Looks like the only option if that doesn't do anything, unfortunately at this point would be to have the vehicle taken to the dealer so they can see if the key is malfunctioning with the alarm system. Or if the alarm it self is malfunctioning. You need to use a Honda Diagnostic tablet for this, and the dealer is the only place with one.

Accepts greatly appreciated

1smartcarguy, Honda Technician
Experience: assoc. degree in auto technology.