Kyle N.
Kyle N., Honda Master Tech
Experience:  Honda Dealer Tech, ASE Master Auto Tech
652461

2002 Honda: the MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP and TCS LIGHT..slow down

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Honda Odyssey. During the driving, the MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP and TCS LIGHT are on at the same time. When I slow down the car by brake, the engine was off. I had to re-star the engine in order to drive, but the MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP and TCS LIGHT are on all the time. I got my car to Ford Dealer, and was told that the Oxygen Sensor needed to be replace. They replaced the Oxygen Sensor. Just one day after the car was fixed. The same issue was happened again. Now Ford Dealer asks me to repair Timing Belt System for almost a thousand dollars. What's the issue? Is it related to the Timing Belt? What about if the Timing Belt System fixed, but the issue is still there?

Thanks for your help,

Tony
Category: Honda
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 7 years ago.

Tony,

This shop is taking you for a ride. The timing belt won't cause this problem. If you have them replace it you'll still have a problem. It's a maintenance item. You need to get the van scanned so I can see what code it has stored inside the computer. If you have an Autozone or Advanced auto parts store near you they will scan the vehicle for free and give you the code. If you get that code I can get you an answer and try to fix it.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Kyle,

Thank you very much for your quick response. I just come back from Ford Dealer, and asked them to give me the code. Here is what I got:

It is Code P.O 171, Bank 1 Exhaust is too rich.

They told me that they didn't find the code related to Timing Belt System this time. They are contacting to Honda to get the point checking requested and will contact me after they get response from Honda.

What do you suggest?

Thanks,
Tony
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 7 years ago.

Hi again,

It sounds to me like you have overfueling problem OR a vacuum leak causing this problem. I would check fuel pressure on bank 1 (rear bank) and check for vacuum leaks to start.