HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level

1999 honda: crank..starter relay..fuses..the ignition switch but it

Customer Question

I have a 1999 honda passport that will not crank. I have pulled the starter and had it checked (it is good) I pulled the battery and had it checked (it is good) I replaced the starter relay under the dash, I have checked all the fuses (all good) still it does not crank. I considered the ignition switch but it costs 74$ and I would like to know that is the problem before replacing it. All electrical systems work well I have scanned the computer and it is free of codes. Could it be the range switch on the transmission?
Category: Honda
Expert:  HondaPlatinum replied 4 years ago.
OK this is an automatic transmission correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes that is correct.
OK will it start in any other position drive ,neutral etc?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I have tried it in neutral many times and park as well. It quit at the gas pump at a local store and before I could get to him it cranked once and then when he killed it at home. It never cranked again. I have been trying to solve this problem for three weeks now. Nothing has worked.
Quick question the motor will turn over by hand its not seized correct?Also is there power and ground to the starter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The vehicle has a little over 100,000 miles on it, everything looks like new on it. The motor was running fine it had plenty of oil in it. I checked the voltage out of the battery and it was reading almost 13 volts. I wrote a check to replace the starter on 1/25 so this vehicle has been down for almost three months. I have hooked the battery charger on it at least twice in this time. I unplugged the small wire that goes down to the charger and checked voltage. Something is stopping the voltage in the starter circuit. Could it be the range switch on the transmission?

One thing that concerned me is when you turn the key over you can hear a very short beep of the horn but my son assured me it had been doing that since he bought the vehicle. Maybe nothing ....I don't know. I priced an ignition switch (74$) but everything works as it should on accessories. I did not want to pour more money into it chasing bad leads.

I am getting no power to the selenoid I have not tried to jump it directly but I did carry the starter to an alternator and starter service and the starter worked well.

OK let me ask you this are there any blown fuses in the under hood fuse box?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have checked all the fuses that I could find, the one under the hood by the battery and one on the drivers side built into the dash. If there is another one somewhere I am unaware of that.
OK try this for me try holding the key in the start postion for 15 seconds and see if it tries to start.Also see if there is an alarm in the truck look under drivers dash for a black wallet shaped box .Also the battery is strong correct?let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It has an after market security system on it. I removed the battery and placed it in another vehicle and it works fine. It is a 72 month battery and is a little over one year old. I did carry it to autozone and they gave it a good report. I have a multimeter and can check various locations if you need the info. I will try holding the key in the start position for an extended period but will have to replace the battery in the vehicle.

I thought of disabling the security system but have not tried it yet. Do you think that could be the problem?

Yes absolutely .Disconnect the battery .Remove that little black box and all the connectors to it.Reconnect the battery make sure its strong it can show its strong but the cells could be bad and not have enough power to start the truck.See if removing the alarm allows the truck to start let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will try this and also try holding the ignition key longer. If I remove the fuses from the security system will this be enough?

No remove the black box and all connectors.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Give me a little time to complete this task. I will get back with you later. Thanks
No problem I will be here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I removed all the security system and found a loose wire. It was a black wire with white stripe. I think it was coming down the steering column and going into a block that clipped on a white molded plastic mounting board. They (whoever installed this system) had cut it and spliced in their system. I reconnected this wire and THE VEHICLE STARTED ......however none of the instrument gauges work now. The entire instrument cluster is dead. What did I do wrong?

I observed that the wiring harness in the engine compartment has been tampered with. I think they ran two wires up to the left corner (I am thinking to the horn) I did not try to remove these wires. After the vehicle cranked, I tried the horn and it works.

If you remember the starter relay I said I changed under the dash, well I think this relay was part of the security system. We went to the Honda dealer to buy this part and they could not find it in their files so we ended up cross referenceing it at Autozone. Anyway it was spliced into the black/w/white stripe wire.

Excellent glad we got to the issue of getting it started. As for the Dash cluster I'm sure it's another wire issue that's not connected.I would go over that wiring and check the dash cluster fuse . Glad it's started.

Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience: 13 year honda platinum level
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will check the fuse but I pulled a pile of wires out of the dash. Do you think I might have got one that was supposed to stay? I tried to remove everything that looked like it did not belong. There was also a rather large black box that a lot of the wires plugged into I am sure it was part of the security system. There was a couple of wires that were soldered into the fuse block, they ran into the metal fender well, I thought they were possibly going to the horn. I want to thank you for your help. This vehicle has driven me nuts!

Oh yes the little peep of the horn when you crank the vehicle is now gone. Again thanks for your help...Until the next time.....R Nettles

Anytime I'm sure the problem is in those wires from the alarm for the dash. If you ever need anything else please let's know.