1smartcarguy, Honda Technician
Experience:  assoc. degree in auto technology.

Hi, we have a 2005 Honda Odyssey Touring Mini-Van with about

Hi, we have a 2005 Honda Odyssey Touring Mini-Van with about 84,000 miles on it. My question is two-fold:

1) How long do the transmissions on this car generally last? About 6 months ago, we were told that we needed a new transmission because the car tends to need it's oil changed more frequently. I DID change to a higher grade oil and that DOES seem to give me a longer oil life.....

What do you think about what I was told? Do the 2005 Honda Odyssey Mini-Van's typically need a new transmission at 100,000 miles? What is the average life of this car's transmission? What are the "warning signs" that the car's transmission is on it's way out? What should I be "looking for" as warning signs?

Hi, thank you for using My name is XXXXX XXXXX i will help assist you today.

Needing a new transmission and having your oil changed have nothing to do with each other. I wouldn't take advice from whoever told you that anymore- no offense to that person. I certainly hope a honda dealer did not tell you this.

The life of the transmission depends greatly on how well you take care of it and the type of driver you are. If you follow your vehicles maintenance schedule, which you should be coming up on your 90,000 mile. you can have the transmission last as long as your car itself does. Having the transmission fluid changed as per your maint. schedule helps greatly.

As far as driving it, if you drive like an average person then you are causing no harm to it that it was designed/built to handle, but if you treat it like a race car it will greatly reduce the life of the transmission. It will cause it to shift harder and deteriorate the fluid much faster. You can tell when your giving more gas and the rpm/s go up higher how the shifting of the transmission feels a little stiffer/rougher. the transmission can handle this, but wasn't necessarily designed to do that every time you drive it. Hence why it would wear/break faster- just an example

Signs to lookout for to notice an issue before it gets to bad are rougher shifting/ low fluid level or burnt looking fluid. The fluid should have a red/pink color to it. Also unusual noises while shifting are a good indication. Any type of irregular vibration in the vehicle could potentially lead to transmission issue.

Finally watch the warning light on your instrument cluster. the computer of the vehicle is very sophisticated and can tell you when something is going wrong. typically for a transmission issue the check engine light will illuminate or the D indicator will start blinking.

Edited by 1smartcarguy on 3/17/2010 at 3:55 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much for your response! So, based on what you've said, it sounds like I really shouldn't need to consider having a new transmission put in this car, right? And certainly not at 100K miles.... Am I correct? How long do the transmissions typically last on a 2005 Honda Odyssey? Will it last up to 150,000 miles? 200,000 miles? I'm a pretty conservative driver.... I don't drive really crazy or anything Laughing

With that said, what is the "normal" amount of time that the oil should last on my car before changing it?

As long as you don't have any current issues or symptoms. The transmission should last to 200,000 miles with no problems. Dont have it replaced unless you yourself know there is an issue. You drive the car everyday and can tell better than anyone else if its acting funny or not. When you are suspecting weird issues with it, then you take it in to get checked.

I would say the average life before replacement is usually around the 200,000 miles range. Given a lot of times these are on vehicles that weren't serviced as well as they could have been over the years.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, I meant what is the average life of the oil? How many miles should THAT last? It just seems like we are having to change it too often! Anyway, I WILL go ahead and close this session out and pay for it... but, if you would please answer the question about how long the oil should last for too, I would appreciate it! Thank you for your help and your expertise!

The engine oil in your vehicle can vary depending on how you drive. The oil life percentage indicator on your instrument cluster panel will slowly reduce as you drive. When it gets to 15% it advises you its time for service. It makes its own calculation based off engine characteristics. the harder the vehicle is driven the faster the percentage will go down.

I always use a 4 month or 4,000 mile mark to have the oil changed, whichever comes first. We don't always recommend following the percentage indicator because we have seen some people go up to 8,000 miles before the indicator hits 15%. which is to long.

You should also be using the recommended 5w-20 engine oil as well

To be safe the average oil life should go from 4-5,000 miles. Any longer than that and you are losing some of the charactersitics of the oil. viscosity/wear protection/other addiditives.

Hope this helps.Smile

Edited by 1smartcarguy on 3/17/2010 at 8:35 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much for all of your expertise! I really appreciate it! I hope you have a great day Laughing

Thats what im here for. Anytime You have a good day to.