HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

97 honda accord: the timing belt..idles..timing marks..valves

Customer Question

97 honda accord has a 2.2l i replaced the timing belt now the engine has a tick and idles irratically what did i do wrong timing marks are exact i have heard it has an interference head do you think i screwed the valves up
Category: Honda
Expert:  HondaPlatinum replied 4 years ago.
Ok is the idle fluctuating up and down?Was there any problem before replacing the timing belt?Did the belt snap?Are the marks correct including the counter balance belt?When you say tick is it under the valve cover?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
question 1 yes. question 2 no. belt did not snap. when i was pulling the car in and out i left the balancer loose and it came off and shut down the motor. the timing marks are perfect. tick is under the valve cover. and valve clearances are huge.
OK for the idle fluctuation its either low on coolant air pockets in the system.Bleed the system and top off the coolant.If there is still an issue it could be a faulty pcv valve or vacuum leak or most common a faulty Idle Air Control Valve.As for the tick just needs a simple valve adjustment.If the timing marks lined up then it should be fine with no damage.If the counter balance was out the car would hav e a tremndous rumble while running.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the coolant is empty. i agree the clearance is to much on the valves how come it did not tick before
OK thats the issue with the idle then .Top off coolant bleed the system and adjust the valves and you will be fine.If you ever need anything else please let me know.

Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
we need to know how come why the valves didnt tick before we touched the vehicle
Well just replacing the timing belt will have nothing to do with that.If it was warm thats why they did not tick.If its low on oil thats also why thy are ticking.Just needs a valve adjustment .There is nothing you can possibly due to affect the valve by just repalcing the timing belt.If any were bent the car would run horrible.Just do the valve adjustment when its cold and it will be just fine .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay we appreciate your valuable time and thank you for your expertise. We were stressed when the ticking started up when we knew there wasn't one when we started on the car. Again thank you very much for all the information. Thank you XXXXX
No problem these valves do that when cold.Im sure it was always like that just the car was not cold.If you ever need anything else please let me know.

Positive feedback and bonuses and greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i dont understand about when the valves are cold because the valves are red hot to the touch.
Was just stating they are louder when cold.Adjusting the valves will fix the issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The mechanic said that he had had the car out there and had started it when it was completely cold and there was no tick then until after the balancer flew off. Now the tick is there.
OK unless the balancer made the timing belt jump and bend valves (which is it was so it would nor run correctly at all)which is doubtful.You need to start by adjusting the valves you should be fine.If its running rough and misfiring then you need to worru if theres an issue with the valves
Please accept this is the only way we get compensated for our expertise.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you very much can i reach tomorrow night if i need you and how
Just ask for me Honda Platinum I'd be glad to help.

You need to accept for me to get compensated for my expertise.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
heres the situation we have adjusted the valves and put coolant in the system now the car will hardly start let alone stay running without raising the idle. Exhaust valves on number 1 piston were the only ones out of adjustment. Ticking has decreased considerably but still audible.
Ok the next step would be a compression test and cylinder leak down test . I when the counter balance belt snapped it possibly jumped time and damaged valves.Also need to make sure timing by and counter belt are lined up. Also need to make sure did not over tighten the valves.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Performed compression test cylinder 1 had 0 2, 3, and 4 had 180 psi. What do you think? When I pulled the car back in the key in the crank shaft fell out and the car stopped running after the new belt was installed. Before the key fell out the car ran fine.
So is the crank actually damaged?Car does not run now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No the crank is not damaged and the car runs just not very well. I have a 2 bay shop 1 lift had to stop working on this honda and pull another customers car in. So I finished installing the timing belt, made sure it started and ran with the covers off. I did not put the balancer bolt back in. Pulled it out to accomodate the other car, when I started and pulled it back in the key that goes thru the crank shaft gears slipped out and the car stalled. I tried to restart it and it would not. I put the key back in, retimed the belts, and it started with a tick that was not there. The number 1 cyclinder exhaust valves were way out of adjustment. Adjusted those, tick went away but car will not idle unless you give it gas. Ran a compression check this afternoon, all cylinders were fine except number 1 which had no compression. Do you think I wrecked the valves?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so with the last email do you think we need a head or have messed up the valves with no compression coming out of number 1 cylinder?
Yes definately bent the valves on 1 cylinder.You will need to remove the head to fix this.